Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   (re)loading for Glock 20? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/re-loading-glock-20-a-13912/)

bleak23 05-16-2009 09:16 PM

hand-loading for Glock 20?

I've pretty much decided that I want to buy a Glock 20. I used to own a 19 which I'm still kicking myself for trading. A Glock 20 is within my price range, and has a large capacity. 10mm seems to be a great caliber.

My question is will I be able to use ammo I hand-loaded using NEW brass? I understand (per canebrake) that using reloaded ammo in a Glock is a bad thing. Does that mean using spent brass only?

Or, should I just forget about hand-loading for a Glock and think about some other caliber/gun? Thanks.

Dgunsmith 05-16-2009 10:50 PM

Change the barrel to an after market barrel and you will have no problems. Glock factory barrels are NOT heat treated and leave too much of the case unsupported. Shooting ANy reloads or lead in a Glock voids the warranty.

All after market barrels are heat treated and range in price from $ 100 to $ 250.

cpttango30 05-17-2009 12:31 AM

Glock barrels are crap. They have an unsupported chamber so you can shoot until the cows come home without cleaning. Change the barrel to one with a supported chamber and then reload for it.

I would not shot any reloads in a glock with a factory barrel unless you want said barrel a part of your arm.

robocop10mm 05-19-2009 12:34 PM

I have never heard that Glock barrels are NOT heat treated. Could be true but I doubt it. The primary problem with Glock barrels is the feed ramp undercuts the chamber significantly causing what is called an unsupported chamber. When accidents happen, the brass lets go at the bottom back of the case and blows down. I have seen photos of catastrophic failures of Glock barrels that peel open upward. This is most likely due to leading in the polygon rifling causing pressures to spike. Some have reported such failures even though lead ammo was never fired through the gun.

Aftermarket barrels are a very good idea, especially if you want to shoot inexpensive cast bullets through your Glock. Reloading for the 10mm is pretty straight forward. I load for a Smith & Wesson 1006 and get some very good groups. I shoot IPSC with this gun with handloads to 175 power factor (175gr bullet @ 1000 fps).

Reloading glock fired brass is somewhat problematic. Many cases will have a bulge at the base where the feed ramp was in relation to the case. This bulge can be slight (in low pressure rounds) to pronounced (in higher pressure rounds). It must be corrected to insure proper feeding/chambering. There are two machines that will correct this condition. The Case Pro and the Case Master. I happen to have a Case Master and it does a wonderful job of returning the brass to factory new specs. I can process 9mm, .40, .357 SIG, 10mm, .45 ACP and .400 Cor-Bon.