Re: De-burring primer flash holes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Re: De-burring primer flash holes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: De-burring primer flash holes

Rather than getting a tool from RCBS, would it be OK to put a small drill bit in a hand chuck and use that to de-burr the inside of primer flash holes? The bit won't have a step in it to control the depth of the chamfer that I would be putting into the inside of the flash hole, and I'm not sure that will cause any problems or not. Anyone with some insight?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Rather than getting a tool from RCBS, would it be OK to put a small drill bit in a hand chuck and use that to de-burr the inside of primer flash holes? The bit won't have a step in it to control the depth of the chamfer that I would be putting into the inside of the flash hole, and I'm not sure that will cause any problems or not. Anyone with some insight?
I think I understand the question.
I would use a flat bottom drill for the primer pocket and a second drill for the flash hole.
I would not remove any metal, only clean.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

RCBS makes a handy little heavy steel bristled brush that you can chuck up into a hand drill for scrubbing the primer pocket, so I don't have a need for the flat bottom drill. Regardless of how careful you were, you would end up removing material and could seat the primer deeper, and that would be a bad thing!

Im actuallly talking about removing the burr that is inside of the case. When the manufacturers are making the cases, they punch the primer flash hole from the outside of the case, leaving a burr on the inside. This burr CAN effect the flame pattern caused by the primer when it is struck, which in turn can effect the burn pattern of your powder charge.

I am wondering if a standard drill bit long enough to span the entire length of the case can be used to remove that burr, and if any irregularities of the depth of my cut can effect accuracy. Of course, I will not be enlarging the flash hole, that too would be a big no no.

There are a couple of case manufacturers that drill their primer flash holes, which gets rid of the burrs, ie. Lapua. But who wants to spend the money for Lapua brass when there is all of that free once fired stuff on the ground at the range!

Old 11-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #4

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Don't be using the drill bit. Use the deburring tool available from such folks as RCBS. Besides you get the pilot stop which keeps you from moving too much material there and the pilot stop alos works as an alignment guide for the deburring tool. If Sportsmans is out where you live go to Wild Sports on Greenback and Main.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 AM   #5

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Im actuallly talking about removing the burr that is inside of the case. When the manufacturers are making the cases, they punch the primer flash hole from the outside of the case, leaving a burr on the inside. This burr CAN effect the flame pattern caused by the primer when it is struck, which in turn can effect the burn pattern of your powder charge.

I am wondering if a standard drill bit long enough to span the entire length of the case can be used to remove that burr, and if any irregularities of the depth of my cut can effect accuracy. Of course, I will not be enlarging the flash hole, that too would be a big no no.
The problem you would run into if you tried using a standard twist drill bit, would be keeping the point of the bit centered over the flash hole. The drill tip will deflect off of the jagged edges of the flash hole where it was punched through. If you look closely at a deburring tool you will see a small pilot at the end of the cutter to keep it centered in the flash hole, so that you will obtain an even chamfer that is concentric with the primer pocket.

You could possibly modify a "bullet" drill for wood and use the tip for a pilot, but buy the time you purchase the bit and grind a new tip - you may as well just buy the proper tool. They aren't that expensive.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Right on guys, thanks for the info, headed to Sportsmans on my way home, it's just around the corner from my house. Thanks!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

The biggest problem is that when the flash hole is punched it leave jagged edges that a drill bit can catch on thus spinning the case and burning the skin right off your finger.

Here is what I do.

I purchased the lyman flashhole deburring tool where it screws into the handle. I leave the handle in the box and chuck the tool in my Mikita Drill and do them that way. I would use the handle to make my adjustments then go to the drill.

I was doing this one all my brass but then I figured that my plinking ammo for the 45acp didn't need it. Now only rifle brass gets done. I now have 4 of them thing one for each caliber 223, 6.5x57mm, 308, 30-06.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Midwayusa has a jig you can mount the RCBS deburring tool in so you can chuck it in a drill.

Possum Hollow Chamfer and Deburring Tool Power Adapter - MidwayUSA

de-burr-adapter.jpg  

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #9

Liked 355 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Midwayusa has a jig you can mount the RCBS deburring tool in so you can chuck it in a drill.

Possum Hollow Chamfer and Deburring Tool Power Adapter - MidwayUSA
Methinks you may have posted this in the wrong thread robo...

Old 11-03-2010, 07:12 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey MRM, stopped by Wildsports on my way home last night, not going in there anymore for reloading supplies. Some of those guys are just dense! They had no idea what I was talking about and they tried to tell me that what I was looking for was a tool to swage the primer pocket. I'll just get my reloading stuff from Sportsmens, where all of the tools are on an aisle because I know what I am looking for. Aaaarrggghh.