Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   ? Re: Corn Cob cleaning/polishing media (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/re-corn-cob-cleaning-polishing-media-102735/)

lucznik 01-14-2014 01:30 AM

? Re: Corn Cob cleaning/polishing media

So over the years I've done lots of loading with new brass but, not really any REloading because I wanted to stockpile as many components as I could - a decision that is paying off right now as new brass is almost non-existant. So now I'm startung the reloading process.

My question relates to the corn cob cleaning media that comes with the Cabela's Case Tumbler Kit.

How do you know when it's time to throw the stuff out and replace it with new?

JonM 01-14-2014 02:10 AM

I keep mine till it turns brown.

rjd3282 01-14-2014 03:36 AM

Just throw it out and use walnut. Corn cob doesn't really clean all that well. You can have clean shiny cases faster with walnut. Plus walnut doesn't plug up primer holes like corn cob.

JonM 01-14-2014 04:29 AM

I don't care for the red walnut dust. Gets all over everything. All I care about mostly is getting the residue off without dust issues. If I need shiny fine brass I let it go 4 or 5 hours.

therewolf 01-14-2014 04:37 AM

I replace the CC media when it stops cleaning the cases.

New, it cleans them in a couple hours. At one point or another,

it starts taking almost twice as long. Then I know it's time for a change.

Also, try Lizard Litter, from the pet shop.

nitestalker 01-14-2014 06:16 AM

Lizard Litter? I never knew that existed? Come to think of it? A lizard has to do, what a lizard has to do? :D

lucznik 01-14-2014 06:36 AM

Thanks guys. I'll try some of the other stuff you mention as I can but, the tumbler came with a bunch of the corn cob media so; I'm going to use that up first.

robocop10mm 01-14-2014 07:02 AM

I use Lizard Litter from Petco. I also use corn cob. I change it out when it is brown. I am one of the only people I know who cleans his media. I fill old, mismatched socks about 2/3 full and tie them off. HOT water wash in the washing machine and double rinse. Pour on to old cookie sheets and dry in the oven at abou 185 degrees. Collect in 3 pound coffee cans for future use. A can will be about the right amount to fill my tumbler. When I put the cleaned media back in service, I recharge with one of several good polishes (Lyman, Frankford Arsenal, Flitz). I have not had to buy new media in years.

I agree the LL does clean better and the CC does polish better. I clean, resize, polish, process/inspect and load.

therewolf 01-14-2014 09:22 AM

Robo, I have the money to buy new media, but not the

time to wash the old stuff. There is the cost of power washing, etc.

robocop10mm 01-14-2014 04:39 PM

I could certainly afford to buy new media. It started as an experiment to see if it could be done. Now it is an experiment to see how long it can be done. I have media that is 15 years old or better and has cleaned literally a quarter million cases.

Reloaders are some of the original recyclers. I am being environmentally conscious.