Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Rcbs rock chucker supreme press (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-press-82374/)

Crazycastor 01-25-2013 01:34 AM

Rcbs rock chucker supreme press

Well I finally broke down and bought me my first press, its a RCBS Rock Chucker. Now I only got the press and a set of dies for the .40 S&W. Figured with help from here you guys can set me straight on what I really need and what I dont need for reloading .40. What works great and what stay away from.

BILLYBOB44 01-25-2013 03:09 AM

;) read read read.......

If you did NOT get Lee dies, you will need a shell holder (RCBS #27).
Also Needed:SEVERAL GOOD LOAD BOOKS!!!!
Powder Scale
Powder Measure
Load Block trays
Primer seat tools (If your press did not come with)
Calipers
Case Gauge (Optional)

Buy your load books first and READ READ READ...
The ABC's of Reloading is a good one, also Lyman 49th edition also.

Start looking for Powder, primers, bullets, so after you have done your reading, you can start....Bill

cottontop 01-25-2013 03:14 AM

Don't know much about reloading for the .40S&W as I only reload for rifle cartridges, but I will say that I believe the RCBS Rockchucker press is the best single stage press you can buy. You will never wear it out and you can perform any case forming jobs with ease.
CT

Crazycastor 01-25-2013 03:38 AM

I have one reloading book for now, its the spear reloading manual #14. I do want to get the abc's of reloading. I think the next thing on my list is a electronic scale. Not sure what kind of powder scale to get or what kind of powder dump to get any suggestions. Workinh on a budget so I'm piecing this together as I go

Crazycastor 01-25-2013 03:40 AM

Oh yea when I un boxed this press I was very impressed by it. Its mounted on my bench right now and i have been removing some primers from the casings and it feels solid.

Crazycastor 01-25-2013 03:42 AM

Does RCBS make a bulge buster for the .40 S&W. I shoot a glock

CamoToe1 01-25-2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazycastor
I have one reloading book for now, its the spear reloading manual #14. I do want to get the abc's of reloading. I think the next thing on my list is a electronic scale. Not sure what kind of powder scale to get or what kind of powder dump to get any suggestions. Workinh on a budget so I'm piecing this together as I go

The RcBS uniflow powder measure has been working great for me although it gets mixed reviews. The hornady measure sells for a little less by me. The key is to thoroughly clean it to remove the manufacturers oils. Then run a pound of powder through it to get things coated evenly. I added the baffle to my uniflow and it throws dead nutz charges. A good balance beam scale is all you need. Good luck!

BILLYBOB44 01-25-2013 01:12 PM

Buy once-Cry once...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazycastor (Post 1109166)
Does RCBS make a bulge buster for the .40 S&W. I shoot a glock

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/231187/redding-g-rx-carbide-base-sizing-die-kit-40-s-and-w-357-sig-10mm-auto

^^^I use this. Get the bottle adapter too. No need to buy their bottle-Use an empty 2 Liter soda bottle with the bottom cut out.

If you are going to be a "Lifetime" reloader-IMO-leave most of Lee tools OUT of your reloading. RCBS, Redding, Dillon tools you get what you pay for=QUALITY...Bill.;)

Mack Bolan 01-25-2013 06:48 PM

can the RCBS rock chucker supreme press also be used for reloading shotshells?

BILLYBOB44 01-25-2013 08:15 PM

Short Answer is NO..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack Bolan (Post 1109853)
can the RCBS rock chucker supreme press also be used for reloading shotshells?

The short of it is NO..

Almost without exception, metallic and shot shell reloading uses totally different tools+components. SOME powders do interchange, but that's about it..Bill.:)