RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 03:44 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Kit?

It will be a while before I can afford to start reloading. However, I have started to do some research on it and I think the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit may be the way for me to go.

What do you gents think of these?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

CA, you would not go wrong with that choice. There are other good single stage presses, but I am very partial to my old RCBS.

While you are waiting to buy the reloading kit, go ahead and buy the case tumbler and case trimming tool. I use the Lee hand trimmers (with the individual caliber cutters and lock studs) chucked up in my cordless drill to trim my high volume cases. They are relatively inexpensive and very fast to use.

Get your fired brass ready to go, then start building your bench.

TXnorton

Old 12-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

There are 2 and a half things you will never use in that kit really.

1 lube pad. Hornady One shot, or other spray lube or Hornady Unique case lube and you will never use a pad again.

2. Universal cartridge block. They are univerally crappy. I have one and 223 sized cases wobble .473" (308, 45acp) sized cases stick. Get cartridge specific or family specific loading blocks from midwayusa or make them your self. If your going to make them use a good hard wood like walnut then once you haver your holes laid out select the proper drill bit and go to town. Then finish it with a nice rubbed oil or other finish.

2.5. What where do you get half. I would get a Lyman or other VLD inside chamfer tool as this use a 30 deg cut angle that offers a smoother transisition and will result in less jacket peal. But you will still use the deburring side of that tool. So in reality you are only going to need half of it.

Other than they Great kit from big green. That rock chucker will last a million years.

One thing else I would get if you plan on standing is a Dillon 550 strong mount. A little modification and your in business. I would add a 3/8 to 1/2 small plate of steel with the holes properly drilled and spaced then mount the press to that then mount the strong mount to the plate.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Tango:

I use the heck out of my lube pad:

I tried the spray lubes and ended up having to use my stuck case extractor more times than I care to recall. So I went back to the old school lube pad. Almost all of of my problems were with 5.56, .30-06 and .308 (mostly range pick-up brass). I suspect that many of these stuck cases were military loads and/or fired in milsurp rifles that have more generous chamber dimensions and possibly higher chamber pressures. I can certainly tell the difference when sizing/depriming. Even with a well lubed case, I can tell when I am about to stick a case and I back out of the die and re-lube the base of the case with my fingers before running the case back into the die.

I do wash my cases in HOT water with Dawn detergent and dry them before I move on to priming.

TXnorton

Old 12-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #5

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I haven't been handloading that long, but I will say that I've loaded a he*l of a lot of rounds in a short period of time.

I went from the lube pad to the Hornady stuff and just recently back to the lube pad. I was just getting too much lube on the cases using the Hornady stuff by hand. With the pad, I can control how much goes on there and it goes faster because I can lube about five cases at a time.

Maybe I was using the Hornady lube wrong.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #6

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXnorton View Post
I do wash my cases in HOT water with Dawn detergent and dry them before I move on to priming.
Why? After tumbling?

Old 12-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
It will be a while before I can afford to start reloading. However, I have started to do some research on it and I think the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit may be the way for me to go.

What do you gents think of these?
RCBS makes great products--however, from my own experience you may want to save up a few more bucks and get a Redding T-7 turret press. I think it's the best turret press made, and you will NEVER regret have a turret over a single stage--it will speed up your reloading immensely and lower your frustration factor a lot by not constantly having to change dies and adjust them--it makes a much more consistent load round to round. IMHO.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

One of the things that is prompting me towards the RCBS is that they're in Oroville, about an hour and a half from here. I've also heard great things about their customer service. We'll eventually move from here, so their location won't matter, but I like the idea for right now.

I am down to four calibers now and unless I ever get a Swedish Mauser, that's how things will stay. I have .22lr, .45ACP, .223/5.56 and .30-06. I plan to reload the '06 and .45ACP. So, I'll only need two sets of dies and peripherals.

I also don't see myself loading more than a few hundred rounds, if that many, at a time. That's why I'm figuring on a simple set up.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

CA, I don't think you will like the primer catcher on the new RCBS presses, they are kind of a pain, don't work that well, and get in the way. I would look into getting a Lyman kit. They had some really screaming deals on them at Sportsmans Warehouse last year around this time.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Okay, I'll take a look the next time I'm out there.