RCBS competition dies good or bad - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > RCBS competition dies good or bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

like Hillbilly said, don't overthink it. my first goal when i work up a load is to find a powder and powder weight that gives good results with the intended bullet weight i want to use for that rifle. then i work with seating depth, as every rifle will shoot differently. then i try out different brands of bullets, in the weight desired, different bullets act differently, even when they weigh the same due to BC.

some people do get anal about it, nothing wrong with that, to each their own. some people sort the cases by headstamp and case weight, some people try out different brands and types of primers, some even weigh every bullet to maximize potential accuracy. some people measure and turn neck diameters. see a pattern here? it can be as simple or as complicated as you desire.
lol Well I don't do all that and I know u have to find what your gun likes when it comes to your bullets,powder,primer combination I was just asking how these dies do before I got them cuz I like how they are easy to see how far your seating your bullet and everything

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 04-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22220 Times on 12454 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
lol Well I don't do all that and I know u have to find what your gun likes when it comes to your bullets,powder,primer combination I was just asking how these dies do before I got them cuz I like how they are easy to see how far your seating your bullet and everything

if the seating depth isn't consistent, then send them back and get them replaced. are you having the problem with only the one seating die, or all your seating dies? if only the one, then possibly the die isn't consistent. if several, then maybe you're not doing something correctly and changing brands might not fix the problem. i use Lee dies for my 308 and have very good results with them. i have an older set of RCBS dies i use for my 30-06. i can attest to the fact, that the Lee's are much easier to set up and used compared to the RCBS dies. both also turn out very accurate ammo.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #23

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

if the seating depth isn't consistent, then send them back and get them replaced. are you having the problem with only the one seating die, or all your seating dies? if only the one, then possibly the die isn't consistent. if several, then maybe you're not doing something correctly and changing brands might not fix the problem. i use Lee dies for my 308 and have very good results with them. i have an older set of RCBS dies i use for my 30-06. i can attest to the fact, that the Lee's are much easier to set up and used compared to the RCBS dies. both also turn out very accurate ammo.
I only have one set of dies I might be doing something wrong cuz I just started reloading but idk I know changing brands won't fix anthing I'm just thinking about trying them out

Old 04-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Seating variations are rarely, if ever, due to the seating die if it's being used correctly.