Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > RCBS competition dies good or bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

i use several different Lee Pacesetter dies and don't have an issue with bullet runout changing. are you locking the nut to the press once you have the desired seating depth? once i adjust my seating depth, i tighten the lock nut to the press, then seat the bullets, then check them every fifth one to ensure they are seating at the desired depth.
I'm getting it as tight as I can to the press and I still get odds ball OAL for some reason

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH

Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20020 Times on 11383 Posts
Likes Given: 50509

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
I'm getting it as tight as I can to the press and I still get odds ball OAL for some reason

send it back to Lee, as it sounds like the seater plug adjustment is too loose and moving around.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #13

Quote:

send it back to Lee, as it sounds like the seater plug adjustment is too loose and moving around.
It might be that cuz when I move it around I hear something moving around

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #14

Quote:
It might be that cuz when I move it around I hear something moving around

mine makes the same noise! but the seating depth never changes once i set it where i want it. send it back to Lee, they have a two year warranty on their dies.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #15

Quote:

mine makes the same noise! but the seating depth never changes once i set it where i want it. send it back to Lee, they have a two year warranty on their dies.
I will but I'm just getting started so I might be doing something wrong but I'm thinking about getting a redding or rcbs competition dies cuz wanting to get in to long range shooting and I want the best I can get

Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #16

Quote:
I will but I'm just getting started so I might be doing something wrong but I'm thinking about getting a redding or rcbs competition dies cuz wanting to get in to long range shooting and I want the best I can get

don't get me wrong, Redding and RCBS both make good dies and i have several sets of RCBS dies, but have found out the Lee's work just as well and are easier to set up than other brands. consistency will be more important than the actual die brand used. consistent bullet depth, powder charge, case length, ect. ect. i weigh my bullets, check OAL of the case and pay attention to my powder charge and bullet seating depth. work with one powder and bullet weght at a time and try different powder charges, and different seating depths. when i find a powder charge that's giving good results, i will then fine tune it by trying +/- .2 of a grain in the powder charge, then fine tune the seating depth to try to get better results. i also like to do 5 shot groups and sometimes even 10 shot groups to see if the results are consistent.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #17

Quote:

don't get me wrong, Redding and RCBS both make good dies and i have several sets of RCBS dies, but have found out the Lee's work just as well and are easier to set up than other brands. consistency will be more important than the actual die brand used. consistent bullet depth, powder charge, case length, ect. ect. i weigh my bullets, check OAL of the case and pay attention to my powder charge and bullet seating depth. work with one powder and bullet weght at a time and try different powder charges, and different seating depths. when i find a powder charge that's giving good results, i will then fine tune it by trying +/- .2 of a grain in the powder charge, then fine tune the seating depth to try to get better results. i also like to do 5 shot groups and sometimes even 10 shot groups to see if the results are consistent.
Ya Im getting there cuz its probably me messing up somewhere when I'm seating them

Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #18
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1114 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Bigdaddy,What bullets are you loading?
The differences in seating depth can also be cause by variances in the bullets themselves.If you want to be exact with each bullet,you'll need to measure each bullet with a Bullet Comparator gauge.
To be truthful,your being a little anal about all of this stuff.Unless your wanting to compete,or are really serious about the little things,your just thinking about it too much.

I have shooting buddies that think every round has to be perfect and exact.They shoot really small groups with their rifles,and then get pissed off when I meet or beat their groups everytime we go shooting.All of my dies are standard grade Lee Deluxe or RCBS,and Redding.
They weigh each of their cases/bullets/primers etc.,and I just throw them together without a worry about all of that stuff.
They have been reloading 5-10 yrs,I've been doing it over 30 yrs for centerfires.

Don't over think Reloading,you'll drive yourself nuts if you do.Find out what bullet/primer/powder combination that your rifles like,and then start playing with all the intricate stuff.It's just Reloading Bullets,don't make it hard for yourself by over thinking!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly
Bigdaddy,What bullets are you loading?
The differences in seating depth can also be cause by variances in the bullets themselves.If you want to be exact with each bullet,you'll need to measure each bullet with a Bullet Comparator gauge.
To be truthful,your being a little anal about all of this stuff.Unless your wanting to compete,or are really serious about the little things,your just thinking about it too much.

I have shooting buddies that think every round has to be perfect and exact.They shoot really small groups with their rifles,and then get pissed off when I meet or beat their groups everytime we go shooting.All of my dies are standard grade Lee Deluxe or RCBS,and Redding.
They weigh each of their cases/bullets/primers etc.,and I just throw them together without a worry about all of that stuff.
They have been reloading 5-10 yrs,I've been doing it over 30 yrs for centerfires.

Don't over think Reloading,you'll drive yourself nuts if you do.Find out what bullet/primer/powder combination that your rifles like,and then start playing with all the intricate stuff.It's just Reloading Bullets,don't make it hard for yourself by over thinking!
Lol I know I'm being anal about it and im sorry but when I do things I try to do the best I can and I really don't have anyone teaching me about this stuff and I know I'm not going to compete but I like to put 110% in everything I do

Last edited by bigdaddy573; 04-20-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Lol I know I'm being anal about it and im sorry but when I do things I try to do the best I can and I really don't have anyone teaching me about this stuff and I know I'm not going to compete but I like to put 110% in everything I do

like Hillbilly said, don't overthink it. my first goal when i work up a load is to find a powder and powder weight that gives good results with the intended bullet weight i want to use for that rifle. then i work with seating depth, as every rifle will shoot differently. then i try out different brands of bullets, in the weight desired, different bullets act differently, even when they weigh the same due to BC.

some people do get anal about it, nothing wrong with that, to each their own. some people sort the cases by headstamp and case weight, some people try out different brands and types of primers, some even weigh every bullet to maximize potential accuracy. some people measure and turn neck diameters. see a pattern here? it can be as simple or as complicated as you desire.