RCBS competition dies good or bad
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > RCBS competition dies good or bad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Default RCBS competition dies good or bad

I'm thinking about getting a set for my 308 and my 30-06 and im wanting to know what u guys think about them before I get them thanks guys

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

They sure aren't bad. But while both of RCBS' more costly die sets have a short, loosely fitted bullet guide and load bullets through a cute little side window and come in a really neat wood box, they really don't align the cases and bullets before seating starts as Forster and Redding's tightly fitted, spring loaded, full length body and bullet alignment sleeves do.

All of that is fact; so, what do I think? Why pay so much for dies that, on average, don't load bullets any straighter than much lower priced standard dies when you can get better designed seater dies instead? Actually, standard dies are quite good and few reloaders -or their rifles - will ever see any benefit from premium dies.

Last edited by 1hole; 04-18-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hole
They sure aren't bad. But while both of RCBS' more costly die sets have a short, loosely fitted bullet guide and load bullets through a cute little side window and come in a really neat wood box, they really don't align the cases and bullets before seating starts as Forster and Redding's tightly fitted, spring loaded, full length body and bullet alignment sleeves do.

All of that is fact; so, what do I think? Why pay so much for dies that, on average, don't load bullets any straighter than much lower priced standard dies when you can get better designed seater dies instead? Actually, standard dies are quite good and few reloaders -or their rifles - will ever see any benefit from premium dies.
So your pretty much saying go with the redding or the Foster lol

Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #4

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a set for my 308 and my 30-06 and im wanting to know what u guys think about them before I get them thanks guys.
I purchased a set in .308 and I like them better than several Redding dies I have. The only thing I don't care for is the graduations on the dark blued micrometer thimble are difficult to read because they are not highlighted. I fixed that easy with some of the, "Bonanza Gold" engraving filler kit. Now they look good and stand out even better.

The nice thing about the RCBS Competition Dies is they have that little "window" you drop the bullet into. It then is seated in all but perfect alignment with the case neck. I've found that bullet run out is very minimal with these dies. Even better than the Redding and Forester Dies I have.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

I purchased a set in .308 and I like them better than several Redding dies I have. The only thing I don't care for is the graduations on the dark blued micrometer thimble are difficult to read because they are not highlighted. I fixed that easy with some of the, "Bonanza Gold" engraving filler kit. Now they look good and stand out even better.

The nice thing about the RCBS Competition Dies is they have that little "window" you drop the bullet into. It then is seated in all but perfect alignment with the case neck. I've found that bullet run out is very minimal with these dies. Even better than the Redding and Forester Dies I have.
Is it consistent cuz that's the problem I'm having with my dies right now is it seats my bullets where I want them then i keep getting some that go way deeper then I like

Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Is it consistent cuz that's the problem I'm having with my dies right now is it seats my bullets where I want them then i keep getting some that go way deeper then I like.
That shouldn't be happening on any die set. But to answer your question, yes. I've found it seats within .002 on most every round. The run out is much better than what you will get with standard dies.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:

That shouldn't be happening on any die set. But to answer your question, yes. I've found it seats within .002 on most every round. The run out is much better than what you will get with standard dies.
Alright cuz I got the Lee pacesetter dies and I like them but I don't think I'm going to by another set they are not consistent

Old 04-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Alright cuz I got the Lee pacesetter dies and I like them but I don't think I'm going to by another set they are not consistent
They should be as far as bullet seating depth goes. Lee makes some things very well, and other things more cheaply. I was resizing a lot of .223 brass and pretty much wore out my expander plug. I wanted to get the batch of cases I was working on done, and I went to Cabela's because it was a Sunday afternoon and nothing by me was open. Cabela's didn't have any expander plugs in .22 cal, so I bought a new set of Lee Dies in .223. I have found them to be excellent. The only criticism I have is you have to really tighten down the decapping pin retainer or else it will push up. This is especially true if you are resizing and decapping military brass with crimped in primer pockets. I took it apart and put a small amount of Rosin on the pin and collet, reassembled it, and it hasn't moved since. I have since resized at least 3,000 cases with it.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #9

Quote:

They should be as far as bullet seating depth goes. Lee makes some things very well, and other things more cheaply. I was resizing a lot of .223 brass and pretty much wore out my expander plug. I wanted to get the batch of cases I was working on done, and I went to Cabela's because it was a Sunday afternoon and nothing by me was open. Cabela's didn't have any expander plugs in .22 cal, so I bought a new set of Lee Dies in .223. I have found them to be excellent. The only criticism I have is you have to really tighten down the decapping pin retainer or else it will push up. This is especially true if you are resizing and decapping military brass with crimped in primer pockets. I took it apart and put a small amount of Rosin on the pin and collet, reassembled it, and it hasn't moved since. I have since resized at least 3,000 cases with it.
Ya I really like them just my seating die sometimes throws me a few odd ball round cuz I try to keep my 30-06 OAL to 3.338 to 3.336 ball park and I end up getting some that are 3.322 to 3.307 so that's my only problem with them that's why I'm wanting to upgrade to something better

Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:

i use several different Lee Pacesetter dies and don't have an issue with bullet runout changing. are you locking the nut to the press once you have the desired seating depth? once i adjust my seating depth, i tighten the lock nut to the press, then seat the bullets, then check them every fifth one to ensure they are seating at the desired depth.