RCBS Chargemaster/Dispenser Combo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > RCBS Chargemaster/Dispenser Combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default RCBS Chargemaster/Dispenser Combo

I've been thinking about purchasing a Chargemaster/Dispenser combo. I'll admit I don't reload "a lot" so this is a want, not a need. So far I have read mostly good things about this product. I was curious if you guys own or have used one and what you thought of it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #2

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 27

It's good unit. I have had one for awhile now and have had no problems. Just make sure it's level, keep the plastic cover over it when it's dispensing and weighing out the charge, and from time to time check the calibration with the calibration weight supplied. Sometimes it needs adjustments in calibration which is normal.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:19 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5519 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

ive got one. good unit. performs exactly as its supposed to. i use it for weighing small batches of 308 30-06 223/556 accuracy loads.

ive had it for maybe 4 or 5 months now

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

I own one as well and love it.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How does it compare with the hornady auto scale? (I forget what they call it) Almost all my reloading stuff is RCBS, but the hornady is $100 cheaper.

I know I know, I'm a tight a$&, just thought I'd ask while this was on your minds.

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 02-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Keep it all green as in RCBS

Old 03-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

I've owned one for over 5 years now and don't ever want to be without it. I use it to reload all of my rifle calibers: 204 Ruger, 221 Rem FB, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 220 Swift, 6mm PPC, 243 Win, 6mm Rem, 257 Roberts, 308 Win, and 30-06. I trust it so much that I don't even check it against my powder scale anymore. The Chargemaster Combo is accurate to 0.1 grain and reduces the powder charging time tremendously!

Oldtymer

Old 03-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #8

Here's another vote for the RCBS ChargeMaster. Been working flawlessly for a number of years. Shop around as prices often times vary a good bit. Midway was where I purchased mine. Compare prices.

Bowguy

Old 03-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I really like mine. Since my experience is that manufacturer's try to keep the volume of powder equal over lot numbers (shift bulk density down (powder is more "fluffy) if burn rate is higher, I have found that generally the powder measure needs no adjustment for new lots, while the charge weight may change. Thus, I load by volume. However, when working up loads, it is so much easier to use a powder dispenser rather than adjusting the powder measure. I could spend 10-20 minutes adjusting a powder measure in the time I can set the ChargeMaster and get several different series of trial loads made.
For those who don't trust a powder measure, I can't think of anything faster than a properly functioning powder dispenser. I can't rate the CM compared to others, but I have been very happy with mine.
In general, it will overshoot on the first charge, so I set the charge weight about 1.5 grain less than my target. Usually, the charge will still be below the target charge weight, so all I do is re-set the charge weight and re-hit the dispense key.
Sometimes, the measure will over shoot by 0.1-0.2gn. All you need to do is touch the powder with your finder, picking up a few kernels, and brushing the kernels off back in the hopper. This will almost always drop the charge weight by 0.1gn.
I keep mine one all the time so it is always under thermal equilibrium and doesn't drift.
Changes I might want to see would be possibly a "width" rather than "depth" footprint and the powder emptying spout on the front rather than the side or back--would like to not have to move the unit around to empty the hopper.