Rcbs chargemaster combo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Rcbs chargemaster combo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Default Rcbs chargemaster combo

Does anyone have one of these setups? Does it work well? I was thinking of getting one for loading .308 and .30-30. Wondering about the durability of this combo after reading some reviews on midway. Any actual experience with this product would help me. Thanks in advance. :-)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #2

Liked 2612 Times on 1179 Posts
Likes Given: 2531

I don't have the chargemaster but if it's anywhere near as good as the RCBS equipment I do own I don't see how you can go wrong.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I have friends with the RCBS unit,I've got the SmartReloader brand.They look almost identical,just different colors.They work great with spherical powders,but long grain powders they are just so-so.
I usually just use my RCBS Uniflow or Redding BR3 powder throwers for all my long grain powders,they work faster than the electric throwers.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-31-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

ive got the rcbs one it works great. i use it for making loads for accuracy in my 308 and 556. sometimes stick powders i gotta redo it. normally i just tap out a little then trickle some back to get it spot on.

i use it for loading 20-50 rounds ata time.

for bulk ammo like handguns or bulk 556 i just use a standard powder thrower.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #5

I've got the chargemaster combo, and love it. I've only been reloading for about 6 months, so I can't say if it's going to last, but I sure do hope so. I worry about the dispense key because it's used for every load.

I load primarily 9mm, 45ACP, and 223, and find that the scale is usually very accurate. I have my setup in my garage, and with the garage door open, need to use the cover so that the wind doesn't confuse the scale. When that happens, it invariably will overcharge by quite a bit.

The scale will normally go slow when starting, speed up until it gets to about 1 grain from the load desired, then trickle until it reaches the desired load. With the wind, it seems to start slow, then go full steam until it reaches the desired load. Because the scale takes a second to register, it overcharges. As in all things reloading, you need to pay attention. You can hear the difference when this occurs and just throw the charge back in the hopper. It may be me, but I'd like for the scale to give me an audible warning when overcharged.

There may be a setting someplace, I don't know. I should have some time today to check the manual. The charge registers on the scale, and if over or under there are indicators, but no audible warning that I know about. If the cover is closed over, I never have a problem.

The other issue I find is when removing the powder charge from the scale. If the delivery tube is contacted, a few granules of powder will fall to the scale. Not even 1/10 of a grain, but annoying because the scale plate then needs to be removed to transfer the powder back to the hopper. Not a big deal, and a non-issue if you're careful when removing the powder pan. Knocking the unit will do the same thing.

I know that using the volumetric powder tools (RCBS Uniflow, Lee Perfect powder measure as examples) work quite well on the press, or stand, but being new to reloading, I'm very paranoid about overcharging the case. Using the RCBS 1500 combo, makes me a lot more confident that what I dial in, is what is in the case. Each throw is measured.

To date, I've only used 3 different powders, Power Pistol, Unique, and 4320, and haven't had a problem with dispensing any of these.

I use a turret press, and by the time I seat the bullet, and crimp using a factory crimp die, the next charge is ready for me, so there is no wait time.

Almostgem
John

Last edited by almostgem; 01-01-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Fat fingers and unclear writing !

Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. If I get one of these I will be using it for very precise .308 loads so I'm wanting to weigh every charge. I had heard some bad reviews about the keypad failing and the unit being made in china so it felt cheap. This is a very specialized purchase for me and I want to make sure this unit is going to last longer than the one year warranty it comes with. I'm a big fan of rcbs but I'm worried about having to replace it in two years. Seems very handy but $329 every couple of years is steep.