Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Range report (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/range-report-81261/)

Tenderribbs 01-14-2013 02:40 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The conditions of the day were poor , winds from L to R at 10 to 15mph with cloudy skies with a temperature of 55deg . The range is my pasture and I was shooting at a 100yds. I Used a Hoppes front rest and beanbag for a support .The weapon was my S&W Ar-15 223 with a 16in 1 to 8 twist with 5r riffling , it is also a melaonite coated barrel .The only modifications to the gun are mag pull furniture and a 4 in flash spireled flash suppressor and I polished the trigger with a lapping compound . The bullet i chose was a Nosler 60g balistic tipped ,boat tailed , it was also canalured The brass is military that was resized and trimmed to a length of 1.75 with an OAL of the round at 2,60. The primers were small rifle from federal . The powder I chose for this round was varget . I shot rounds of three to begin my test. My starting load was 24.8 with with mediocre result a 1.8MOA. The second round I increased The load to 25.1 with better results that turned out a 1.5 MOA . I increased my next round up to 25.4 with a result of 1.0 MOA I was very pleased with that .... But not satisfied . With no pressure signs I loaded up three rounds at 25.6and had a three group shot of .87 MOA . now were getting somewhere , with no pressure signs I went up to a 25.7 load and shot a .70. I went back in house and reloaded three more at 25.8 and sent them down range with even better result of a ..692 At this point the sun was setting so i called it a day . Overall I'm very pleased with this the performance of this round , But curious to see what a 25.9 round would do !

Attachment 79525

Attachment 79526

Popeye77 01-14-2013 03:17 AM

Thanks for posting that. Gonna write that load down. Soon as I can find them I was going to load some 60gr. Partition. Gave me a good starting point.

kingrider 01-14-2013 03:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Wow I had a similar day to yours! Only difference was I had great conditions at the range, but was soon surrounded by slobs who thought any target down range was ok to shoot at!!! I was testing the 69 gr. sierra matchking in my tikka lite 223. Only got to get off three of my test groups but they looked promising. Started at 24.8 and made it to 25.2 gr. of varget before I had to quit for the morning. The first group of 24.8 produced the best group but showed a bit of vertical stringing. I may have pushed to fast and heated the lite barrel on the tikka on that first group.

Attachment 79542

Attachment 79543

Attachment 79544

Attachment 79545

Tenderribbs 01-14-2013 01:10 PM

Nice shooting rider dang you got me beat ! .5 , I would be very happy with that . Yes fortunately I don't have to share my range with dummies :-) what twist do you have in that Tika lite and length of barrel ?

kingrider 01-14-2013 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderribbs
Nice shooting rider dang you got me beat ! .5 , I would be very happy with that . Yes fortunately I don't have to share my range with dummies :-) what twist do you have in that Tika lite and length of barrel ?

I wouldn't say I beat you I'm shooting a bolt lol! The barrel is 22 in. And it's a 1-8 twist. First time shooting the Sierra bullets through it so I wa happy with it. I have a 55 gr. v-max load I worked up for it that shoots under an inch too. Pretty good shooting rifle for 500 bucks!

Attachment 79619