Range etiquette for reloaders?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Range etiquette for reloaders?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default Range etiquette for reloaders?

Recently I started to get into reloading, I am curious as to how all of you collect your spent brass. In my revolvers, it's a no brainer but with my autos I am just wondering if it is ok to search for my brass on the floor, or do you guys consider it lost. The range I go to can get busy, and I don't want to hold up others or get in the way. The floor is almost always covered in shells, they really don't sweep much. Thanks for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1170 Times on 762 Posts
Likes Given: 697

sorry i cant help ya. most the time my range is pretty bare. on th eoff chance there is some one else. i just police the brass when they go to set or check targets.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #3

Liked 795 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 894

I pick it all up.... Good is kept \ traded, the bad goes in the scrap bin...

Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #4

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You obviously don't shoot 460 Rowland or 458SOCOM!

Your brass is yours. If someone says different, take your business (and your brass) elsewhere.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I police the range and keep everyone's brass near me. Of couch I ask them first. But most don't keep it. The range does keep it but they said while I am on range I can keep it.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #6

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

The range I go to is run by some OK people, I don't think they have any problems with me keeping MY brass, but with my autos the brass tends to fly around a bit, and being a new reloader, I don't know what people do, before I reloaded, I never kept brass. I'm not sure how they feel about me picking up other peoples brass, I'm sure the range keeps it and sells it or the guys that work there pick it over and keep what they want.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3049 Times on 1526 Posts
Likes Given: 356

Keep most of your own brass.
I bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SBBCJC/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
If you get it set up correctly, it's good for around 80%. The rest will bounce off the rim and land around your feet. And, yes, I know it's overpriced. It's gone up since I bought it. Some enterprising person could probably rig up something similar with an aquarium net.
As for collecting "Bonus" brass, my regular range didn't have a problem until some guy went in with a 5 gallon bucket and did nothing but shovel the brass into it. Different ranges will have different policies. When in doubt, ask. For the most part, if you don't get silly you shouldn't have any problem.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5921 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 416

i dont go to ranges that insist my property is theirs. if they want to give me ammo to shoot they can keep the brass or if they wish to pay market price for my brass. if i bring my own i keep it.

if you want to know the range rules on brass ask the range management. it is rude to take other people's brass without asking.

what i do is sweep up all brass in the general area mine is landing if im not using a brass catcher pick mine out and offer the other folks theirs. most of the time they just give it to me. a surprising number of folks dont reload and are paying way more for ammo than they need to.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
The range I go to is run by some OK people, I don't think they have any problems with me keeping MY brass, but with my autos the brass tends to fly around a bit, and being a new reloader, I don't know what people do, before I reloaded, I never kept brass. I'm not sure how they feel about me picking up other peoples brass, I'm sure the range keeps it and sells it or the guys that work there pick it over and keep what they want.
JD, you might consider a brass catcher for your range shooting such as this. There are also handheld ones that are universal because they don't attach to the gun, or this standing option. If keeping your brass is important to you, then this is an alternative, and also good if you shoot in grass and rough terrain.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Any range that is worth a damn will certainly allow you to lick up your own brass. Mark the base with a colored magic marker to prove it is yours.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball