Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Range etiquette for reloaders? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/range-etiquette-reloaders-69397/)

JD1969 08-01-2012 05:06 PM

Range etiquette for reloaders?

Recently I started to get into reloading, I am curious as to how all of you collect your spent brass. In my revolvers, it's a no brainer but with my autos I am just wondering if it is ok to search for my brass on the floor, or do you guys consider it lost. The range I go to can get busy, and I don't want to hold up others or get in the way. The floor is almost always covered in shells, they really don't sweep much. Thanks for the help.

jjfuller1 08-01-2012 05:08 PM

sorry i cant help ya. most the time my range is pretty bare. on th eoff chance there is some one else. i just police the brass when they go to set or check targets.

Trez 08-01-2012 05:17 PM

I pick it all up.... Good is kept \ traded, the bad goes in the scrap bin...

canebrake 08-01-2012 05:22 PM

You obviously don't shoot 460 Rowland or 458SOCOM!

Your brass is yours. If someone says different, take your business (and your brass) elsewhere.

GaMatt72 08-01-2012 05:24 PM

I police the range and keep everyone's brass near me. Of couch I ask them first. But most don't keep it. The range does keep it but they said while I am on range I can keep it.

JD1969 08-01-2012 05:49 PM

The range I go to is run by some OK people, I don't think they have any problems with me keeping MY brass, but with my autos the brass tends to fly around a bit, and being a new reloader, I don't know what people do, before I reloaded, I never kept brass. I'm not sure how they feel about me picking up other peoples brass, I'm sure the range keeps it and sells it or the guys that work there pick it over and keep what they want.

Overkill0084 08-01-2012 07:14 PM

Keep most of your own brass.
I bought one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SBBCJC/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
If you get it set up correctly, it's good for around 80%. The rest will bounce off the rim and land around your feet. And, yes, I know it's overpriced. It's gone up since I bought it. Some enterprising person could probably rig up something similar with an aquarium net.
As for collecting "Bonus" brass, my regular range didn't have a problem until some guy went in with a 5 gallon bucket and did nothing but shovel the brass into it. Different ranges will have different policies. When in doubt, ask. For the most part, if you don't get silly you shouldn't have any problem.

JonM 08-01-2012 07:52 PM

i dont go to ranges that insist my property is theirs. if they want to give me ammo to shoot they can keep the brass or if they wish to pay market price for my brass. if i bring my own i keep it.

if you want to know the range rules on brass ask the range management. it is rude to take other people's brass without asking.

what i do is sweep up all brass in the general area mine is landing if im not using a brass catcher pick mine out and offer the other folks theirs. most of the time they just give it to me. a surprising number of folks dont reload and are paying way more for ammo than they need to.

TekGreg 08-01-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD1969 (Post 889499)
The range I go to is run by some OK people, I don't think they have any problems with me keeping MY brass, but with my autos the brass tends to fly around a bit, and being a new reloader, I don't know what people do, before I reloaded, I never kept brass. I'm not sure how they feel about me picking up other peoples brass, I'm sure the range keeps it and sells it or the guys that work there pick it over and keep what they want.

JD, you might consider a brass catcher for your range shooting such as this. There are also handheld ones that are universal because they don't attach to the gun, or this standing option. If keeping your brass is important to you, then this is an alternative, and also good if you shoot in grass and rough terrain.

robocop10mm 08-02-2012 01:57 AM

Any range that is worth a damn will certainly allow you to lick up your own brass. Mark the base with a colored magic marker to prove it is yours.