Random reloading questions - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Random reloading questions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM   #21
-06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 129
Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Most powder manufacturers have data you can download. My manuals are old and do not even list 40s/10mms or Blackouts.



__________________
-06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Is it normal for brass to stick out away from the bullet slightly? I'm loading for 7.62 Nagant, and using lead bullets. The bullets are pretty firm in the brass, but the end of the brass flares out a bit. Maybe I'm not using the expander die right??? If I don't expand it a lot, it shaves lead off the bullet. Any suggestions?



__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lima,Ohio
Posts: 3,281
Liked 3048 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 2857

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Is it normal for brass to stick out away from the bullet slightly? I'm loading for 7.62 Nagant, and using lead bullets. The bullets are pretty firm in the brass, but the end of the brass flares out a bit. Maybe I'm not using the expander die right??? If I don't expand it a lot, it shaves lead off the bullet. Any suggestions?
Might need a little crimp to bring the brass back in.

As for the other post about 87 grn and h4350 I could find nothing but IMR 4350 in the lyman 49th edition and that was for 85 gr. and 90 gr. bullets. I wouldn't be afraid to work up a load based on that info but I wouldn't recommend anyone else doing it unless you've been loading for awhile.
__________________
rjd3282 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6577 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Might need a little crimp to bring the brass back in.

As for the other post about 87 grn and h4350 I could find nothing but IMR 4350 in the lyman 49th edition and that was for 85 gr. and 90 gr. bullets. I wouldn't be afraid to work up a load based on that info but I wouldn't recommend anyone else doing it unless you've been loading for awhile.
Do they make crimp dies for 7.62 Nagant?
__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Trez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 3-P
Posts: 3,819
Liked 852 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 993

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Do they make crimp dies for 7.62 Nagant?
You seating die should do it..

I do like Jon said and crimp after I seat the bullet. His post is pretty much spot on in my experience.
__________________
Quote:
...... I suffer from a very rare genetic defect that causes me to be sympathetic toward the International cause. There is no cure.
Trez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kaido's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,760
Liked 358 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

depends on who is supplying the information as to it's being reliable. if it's from a powder or bullet maker, then it's probably trustworthy, and just follow common sense by starting at the lower end of the charge weight. if i'ts just some Joe Blow, then you might want to research a better source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -06
Most powder manufacturers have data you can download. My manuals are old and do not even list 40s/10mms or Blackouts.
It was someone on another forum that one of the google links took me too. He said he got the data out of one of his Hornady loosing manuals. I've look on Hodgdon's website and didn't see anything for that bullet and powder weight. I also checked Hornady's website and wasn't given anything of help.

I'll give another check real quick though. I was half asleep when looking for it.
__________________
kaido is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lima,Ohio
Posts: 3,281
Liked 3048 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 2857

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Do they make crimp dies for 7.62 Nagant?
I have the 3 die set from Lee it has the factory crimp die. Jon is right about crimping as a seperate operation it's the only way I would do it. It's the main reason I bought the Lee set. They aren't the best dies I have but Dillon doesn't make dies for 7.62x54R and RCBS, Lyman, Redding and Hornady don't make die sets with a seperate crimp die for that caliber.
__________________
rjd3282 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
duddie10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 517
Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post

I have the 3 die set from Lee it has the factory crimp die. Jon is right about crimping as a seperate operation it's the only way I would do it. It's the main reason I bought the Lee set. They aren't the best dies I have but Dillon doesn't make dies for 7.62x54R and RCBS, Lyman, Redding and Hornady don't make die sets with a seperate crimp die for that caliber.
I agree to i have bought lee factory crimp dies for every caliber i reload.
__________________

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

duddie10 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 AM   #29
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I don't crimp any of my rifle cartridges (except for my .35 Remington). But then, I only load one cartridge in my rifles.
ct

__________________
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #30
-06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 129
Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Follow the instructions on seating stroke and you can eliminate the flare with a crimp. Careful setting it or you will "crunch" the case down.



__________________
-06 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Random Questions Thread........ winds-of-change The Club House 4235 02-24-2015 03:48 PM
Questions on reloading? Chewdo Gunsmithing Forum 12 05-17-2012 05:04 AM
two random questions about my newest greatest tool waxman895 1911 Forum 29 03-20-2010 06:01 PM
.223 reloading questions ah141nj Ammunition & Reloading 2 05-14-2009 09:46 PM
New To Reloading Questions jeepcreep927 Ammunition & Reloading 12 07-25-2008 02:13 AM