Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Random reloading questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I use Lee dies for all my reloading and have a Lee Factory Crimp Die for every caliber I load. Some calibers like heavier crimps and some like lighter but they all get crimped.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #12

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaido View Post
I found out that the way Lee makes their resizing/decapping die, you don't need to lube the inside of the case mouth at all, though I've been told you do. So I'm going to avoid doing that with my next batch.
From my Lee Reloading manual that came with my press.

They are talking about using the full length sizing die; if you use the neck sizing die you need no lube whatsoever.

Which die are you using?

Whatever die you are using, you need to reread the instructions on it. (I'm assuming it is a neck sizing die since a full length sizer would probably size the neck properly if setup improperly.)

Last edited by The_Kid; 08-15-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: punctuation

Old 08-16-2012, 12:09 AM   #13

Liked 344 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sorry for the late reply guys, was at work. But I'm using a full length resized from Lee, I can get the ram to extend fully with out a case in the shell holder, but the moment I put one in, it doesn't fully extend.

As for the lube, I'm using the stuff that came with my kit and it says all that should be put on is a thin film, letting it dry is optional.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #14

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply guys, was at work. But I'm using a full length resized from Lee, I can get the ram to extend fully with out a case in the shell holder, but the moment I put one in, it doesn't fully extend.

As for the lube, I'm using the stuff that came with my kit and it says all that should be put on is a thin film, letting it dry is optional.
If your FL die is set up correctly and you cannot completely size the case you are, 1) not using enough force, 2) not enough lube or horse **** lube, 3) FL die is not set up correctly, 4) refer to items 1,2,3.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:46 AM   #15

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
1) not using enough force, 2) not enough lube or horse **** lube, 3) FL die is not set up correctly, 4) refer to items 1,2,3.
When I look back to when I first full length sized a case, I didn't use enough lube, and was surprised at how hard it was to size the case.

When I discovered the proper amount of lube to use, I was surprised on how easy it was to full length size.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

your expander/decapper stem may be screwed in too far

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #17

Well from the sounds of it, I'll be adjusting my decapping stem since I'm using the same amount of lube as before I buggered it up.

EDIT: fixed my die issue, everything is working how it should be now.

Last edited by kaido; 08-16-2012 at 02:45 AM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 02-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #18

I know this thread has been dead a little while, but I've got two reasons for bringing it back to life. One is that I've seen a couple reloading threads started for a simple question that didn't really require its own.

The second one is this.....neither of my two reloading manuals (Modern reloading: second edition and the basic one that came with my kit) seem to have any information an 87grn Projectile (V-max). The powder I'm using is Hodgdon's 4350.

So far my googlefoo shows a starting load at 38.9grns and a max load of 43.4grns. I'm more or less just looking for something a little more reliable then google.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #19

Noone has a any load data on this bullet weight at all?

Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #20
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20884 Times on 11872 Posts
Likes Given: 52440

Quote:
I know this thread has been dead a little while, but I've got two reasons for bringing it back to life. One is that I've seen a couple reloading threads started for a simple question that didn't really require its own.

The second one is this.....neither of my two reloading manuals (Modern reloading: second edition and the basic one that came with my kit) seem to have any information an 87grn Projectile (V-max). The powder I'm using is Hodgdon's 4350.

So far my googlefoo shows a starting load at 38.9grns and a max load of 43.4grns. I'm more or less just looking for something a little more reliable then google.
depends on who is supplying the information as to it's being reliable. if it's from a powder or bullet maker, then it's probably trustworthy, and just follow common sense by starting at the lower end of the charge weight. if i'ts just some Joe Blow, then you might want to research a better source.