Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Rainier hollow point testing ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Rainier hollow point testing ??

Does anyone here know of any testing done with Rainier hollow points? I picked up some in various weights in .45 just to play with(and they were super cheap) and I was curious if anyone has done any testing on how they actually expand. I did some searching but didn't come up with anything other then the box of truth testing them in .44.

I've also been curious about tests on the budget self defense rounds from Winchester and Remmington. I got a deal on 200 rds of 38 Special 125 +p Remmingtons and somehow ended up with 50 of the Winchesters. Still scratching my head on where they came from. My wife shoots a 38 and with ammo prices going up if these work well, I have a good stock of SD rounds for her. She is currently using Gold Dots.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't have any info, but you can test them for yourself. Either make up some ballistic gelatin or get yourself a rack of pork ribs, hang them from a rope and shoot a couple of rounds into them and see what YOU think....

I have done the rack of ribs ( skin on / raw ) with the Ranger hollow points when I first got them and the results were impressive.

JD

Old 09-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I been wanting to test some out myself in wet phone books,Berry's states you can push them up to around 1200 fps. Being there pure lead and copper plates I suspect they would expand well when tested at regular pistol ranges.

If I can ever find a decent job again and get all my bill caught up I'm going to try some of the HP's out in 9mm and 38 cal. I'm just shooting cast bullets out of my stash I stocked up on before times go so rough so I'm not really hurting on my reloading supplies,just always been curious how they would preform in my Ruger BH 357/9mm convertible.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Currently I've got 25 or so of 185, 200, and 230 grain for my 45 loaded with their hollow points. I'll have to round up some test media and give it a try. I don't have a chronograph so I can't measure bullet speed but I could give folks an idea. It should give me something to do on my day off anyway.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

"Water Soaked Newspapers: An Alternative for 10% Ordnance Gelatin,"

Wet Pack Tissue Simulant Preparation

And some other good stuff.

Listing of Questions on the Q&

Old 09-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've used the wet newspaper before, I just need to find a source for a large amount of it.