Questions About Reloading for the Mosin?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Questions About Reloading for the Mosin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 740 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 791

Default Questions About Reloading for the Mosin?

My Mosin has become a case queen ever since I got my Arisaka.. So I want to change that and start reloading for it. I have a 1942 91/30 Sniper...
My main question is what size bullet should I use? I thought they shot a .3105 bullet, but my book says .308, and C3 said they should measure out to 7.92?? Im so confused....
What weight should they be? Ive shot 150 gr. surplus ammo and it constantly shot low, so im thinking something in the 175 gr. area? What specs was the WWII Russian ammo made to?

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

Likes Given: 2

Slug the barrel and find out what bullet will work best.

Mosin Nagant Rifle Bore Slugging Tutorial

I know I have posted it here before, Try a quick search, I know there is a bit of info here and there.
Best of luck

Old 09-29-2011, 06:18 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The 7.62x54r cartridge uses the same diameter bullet as the 7.62x39 cartridge fired in the AK 47. The diameter of the bullet is actually not .308 it's .312. The Russian when naming their cartridges refer the first numerical figure by the lands and not the grooves like most others do.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Buy new brass with a Boxer primer hole! Military surplus brass was made for.......wait for it........one bang only.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

Even Brass case surplus is Berdan primed. As Canebrake said, new Boxer primed brass works best. The bullets I use to reload are .311 to .312. Your scope is calibrated for 180gr. Speer 180gr. round nose shoot very well.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Even Brass case surplus is Berdan primed. As Canebrake said, new Boxer primed brass works best. The bullets I use to reload are .311 to .312. Your scope is calibrated for 180gr. Speer 180gr. round nose shoot very well.
Thanks JP! Will there be a big difference between a 174 gr. and a 180gr bullet?

Im thinking of something like these bullets: Hornady Bullets 303 Caliber and 7.7mm Japanese (3105 Diameter) 174 Grain Full Metal Jacket Boat Tail Box of 100 - MidwayUSA
What do you guys think?

Old 09-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #7

Liked 710 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 730

I would not sweat it!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:23 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Depending on your dies some require a different neck size as most ship ready for 308 bullets. If your dies are 308 try some of those first. Some mosins shoot 308 diameter just fine.

Mine doesnt i have to use the bigger 311 but i need to order a new inside diameter sizer before i can load more.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #9

I havent sluged my barrel, But I think my bore size is around .310.
Im not sure how accurate this is, but a .308" bullet will go though the barrel with very little resistance, and I have some loaded Seller & Belliot ammo that the bullet measures .3105"/.311", that placed in the muzzle wont touch the brass case...
What do I do about the neck size?
Can I use a universal expander? Can I buy dies with the correct diameter?
*edit*
I was looking around and the RCBS die set says it comes with a expander assembly, is this what I need?

Last edited by Trez; 09-30-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: something new

Old 09-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
I havent sluged my barrel, But I think my bore size is around .310.
Im not sure how accurate this is, but a .308" bullet will go though the barrel with very little resistance, and I have some loaded Seller & Belliot ammo that the bullet measures .3105"/.311", that placed in the muzzle wont touch the brass case...
What do I do about the neck size?
Can I use a universal expander? Can I buy dies with the correct diameter?
*edit*
I was looking around and the RCBS die set says it comes with a expander assembly, is this what I need?
call the company whom your gonna get the dies from and ask which expander is stock. if you order direct from them they will liekly just ship your dies with the one you need.

7.62x54r and 303 british are the only two i know of that can use different sized bullets.

the expander ball 308 or 311 takes care of the diameter. the size die squeezes it down then as the case leaves the die the ball sizes the inside diameter. so only the ball needs to be the right size

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...