Question for the Veteran Reloaders - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Question for the Veteran Reloaders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
1) Is a budget number of $750 dollars for beginners equipment reasonable?
Yes I believe it is. YOu can get a lot of equipment for that price.
Quote:
2) What would be a good average cost for the components of a 9mm target round with salvaged brass?
Box of 1000 Rainer 147gr bullets 99.99 .10 ea
1# Hodgdon Longshot $19.99 4 gr per load .01 ea
1000 Primers $30.00 .03 ea
Total for 1000 9mm 147gr loads .14 cents ea or $14.00 per 100.

Quote:
3) What would be a good average cost for the components of a .45ACP target round with salvaged brass?
box of 1000 185gr Rainer bullets $114.95 .11 ea
1# of Hodgdon Titegroup powder $24.95 5 gr ea .02 ea
1000 primers $30 .03 ea .18 ea or $18 per 100....

Quote:
4) What % of failures should a novice reloader expect?
0% you are going to make mistakes. I still make mistakes I was gathering up some 45acp loads and found 4 there were messed up.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Handloading Cost Calculator

Just plug in the numbers and go.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:59 AM   #13

Default reloading

why do you recomend a single stage press? I do have a couple for certain operations but then I have 15 presses.a Lee clasic cast turret press can be used as a single stage or an auto index.and it uses extra turrets to hold dies.
with a lee powder measure installed it is very much a progressive.since I have the older turrets I can only load pistol that way the rifle cases are to long for the auto advance.so the cast is better than mine.as to dillon they are good but pricie.and lee has as good a garentee,for general use.I dont expect them to repair it for life for the price.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #14

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I run a Dillon 550b, two Rockchuckers, and a MEC. I have less than $500 in the whole bench including the bench, dies and everything. I shop around. I have $35 in both RC's and 2 sets of dies. I bought the MEC and a box of goodies at an auction for $7. I got a deep discount on the Dillon and 2 sets of dies. Watch yard sales and auctions. Often they cant get bids on this stuff and you can get it for practically nothing. Lee puts out dies called RGB dies,,,Really Good Buy, you can get them for less than $15 each. They are just as good as any unless you intend to load thousands and thousands of rounds. Most of my dies are RCBS that I have picked up here and there for maybe $10 average. Just sayin............

OK--The first question you need to ask yourself, is, how many rounds will you reload in a year? In other words, is it worth putting out $1000 to load 50 rounds when you could have bought them for $50 new, off the shelf?
Powder is going to cost you about 20c a load. Primer is 3c, bullet is going to be anywhere from 30c to 1.00 each. So, you are going to have at least 50c each in your center fire rifle loads, less than that for pistols. But you will have $750 in the bench that has to be amortized out.

I dont really save much reloading other than I satisfy myself. I quit smoking, quit drinking, and quit chasing wild women, so in order to have something to do, I reload and chase a couple not so wild women......

Just sayin......

Old 08-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #15

Default cost of reloading

The only thing I would question is the 20 cents per round for powder. If your average load for a combination of rifle and pistol reloads is 20 grains and the cost of a pound of powder runs about 18.00 bucks the cost per round for the powder is only going to be about .05 cents per round. Reloading pistol round with powders such as Bullseye or Unique could bring your powder costs down to under .02 cents/round. I realize some powders may cost a buck or 2 one way or the other and I expect primers will be down to under 3 cents a piece once the market become flooded with them, so depending upon your bullet cost, reloads for handguns could still be as cheap as 10 to 12 cents if you buy #2 alloy lead bullets in bulk and well under .25 cents for most small caliber rifle cartridges using jacketed bullets. At one time I had over 4000 Sierra 53 gr. JHP benchrest bullets with a cost of 2 1/2 cents each and over 5000 9mm and 45 ACP bullets I paid the same price for at an estate sale. I didn't even own a 9mm or 45 at the time but had no trouble selling the a local gun dealer for a nice profit.

I guess my point being I still believe one could load most centerfire rifle rounds for well under .50 cents if you keep your eyes open for sales and specials from either you local supplier or on the net. Of course buying powder or primers that require shipping have to be darn cheap to offset the HAZMAT charges and are probably best purchased from your local dealer.

F. Prefect

Last edited by fprefect; 08-17-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #16

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'd sure like to buy some of that $18 powder these days. I load .30 cals and when you are talking 55 to 60 grains that is what it comes to.

Powder here is almost $30 a pound now.

I mentioned that pistol shells are less than that. Right now, I can buy 9mm's for less than I can load them. My wife shoots them and leaves the casings lay on the ground because we can buy them for less than I can reload them.

I load a lot of .45 but primers are still hard to come by here, and expensive. Powder at about 7 grains will load a thousand shells, so yess it is less expensive. I dont cast, I'd rather pay someone else to breath the lead fumes, and it is 15c on up for bullets by the time you pay freight and costs.

It still depends on how many you plan to reload. Since I dont get to shoot as much as I like because of work restrictions any more, my bench has become sort of a hobby. It used to pay its way.

Last edited by W. C. Quantrill; 08-17-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #17

Default Powder

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. C. Quantrill View Post
I'd sure like to buy some of that $18 powder these days. I load .30 cals and when you are talking 55 to 60 grains that is what it comes to.

Powder here is almost $30 a pound now.

I mentioned that pistol shells are less than that. Right now, I can buy 9mm's for less than I can load them. My wife shoots them and leaves the casings lay on the ground because we can buy them for less than I can reload them.

I load a lot of .45 but primers are still hard to come by here, and expensive. Powder at about 7 grains will load a thousand shells, so yess it is less expensive. I dont cast, I'd rather pay someone else to breath the lead fumes, and it is 15c on up for bullets by the time you pay freight and costs.

It still depends on how many you plan to reload. Since I dont get to shoot as much as I like because of work restrictions any more, my bench has become sort of a hobby. It used to pay its way.
No, I can still buy Unique for under 20.00 but I suspect that stuff might send your 50 cal onward and upward. I ordered some H110 from them but didn't inquire about the price. All of this hoarding will end and prices will fall. I've even gotten 2 emails from Midway saying they had the primers I had inquired about a couple of weeks ago. A very few very stupid people are in effect preventing the average shooter and reloader from from enjoying their sport for the lack of a 2 cent primer. But there are already signs that the shortage is beginning to abate. I hope they choke on 'em.

F. Prefect

Old 08-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #18

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

If you shop right you can get powder for $18 a pound. it is not that hard.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:19 PM   #19

Default Powder prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
If you shop right you can get powder for $18 a pound. it is not that hard.
That's exactly what I have found. There are a small few retailers "taking advantage" of this current "shortage" of primers to up there prices on other reloading components as well. I have a feeling that they will regret doing so 6 months from now when some of their regular customers have shopped around and found much lower prices elsewhere, will never return.

I believe in most cases reloaders are going to find the best prices, as well as availability from a retailer that they have been doing business with for a number of years who are not as likely to take advantage of their regular customers who have spent money with them for several years.

My 2 cents worth.

F. Prefect

Last edited by fprefect; 08-18-2009 at 09:26 PM.