Question on powders

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Question on powders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Default Question on powders

What determines a powder to be extruded and why the need for ball powder vs stick powder. Other then the throw flowing better why have a stick powder ? Why have a ball powder ? Are Stick powders better for certain calliber rifles? Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #2

Liked 319 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Just the way they are made. Really I believe it all comes down to how they want to make the powder. Maybe some formulas burn better as a stick vs a ball.

Here is an excelent read on the topic. http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/20921/gunpowder/

Old 12-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Winchester invented ball powder and convinced us that it was better. In general, harder to ignite and it was, at one time, harder on the bore.
However, people became concerned that despite all the accuracy set by extruded powders that the better metering and newness was better.
Like all things, there are benefits and negatives, but I simply judge a powder by the size of the group.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5757 Times on 3256 Posts
Likes Given: 5197

Quote:
Originally Posted by noylj View Post
Winchester invented ball powder and convinced us that it was better. In general, harder to ignite and it was, at one time, harder on the bore.
However, people became concerned that despite all the accuracy set by extruded powders that the better metering and newness was better.
Like all things, there are benefits and negatives, but I simply judge a powder by the size of the group.
Ball powder is denser and you can load more. It generally burns a little hotter.

But it generally gives better velocity and is easier to meter.

IME, ball is generally a better choice in heavy loads, and extruded or flake in light to moderate loads. But that is not a hard and fast rule. Ya gotta see what every particular weapon likes.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 12-11-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut07
Just the way they are made. Really I believe it all comes down to how they want to make the powder. Maybe some formulas burn better as a stick vs a ball.

Here is an excelent read on the topic. http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/20921/gunpowder/
So extruded just means another form of powder like you have ball ,flake and then extruded and that's like a rat turd? So when you say extrude powder you are referring to the actually physical characteristics or the shape of the powder if I understand correctly good article

Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenderribbs View Post
So extruded just means another form of powder like you have ball ,flake and then extruded and that's like a rat turd? So when you say extrude powder you are referring to the actually physical characteristics or the shape of the powder if I understand correctly good article
Old timers (like me) often refer to extruded powder as "stick" powder, because it looks like little sticks.

Ball is round, or partially flattened.
Flake is...well, flaky!

Winston Churchill

Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #7

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

Then you have the powder UNIQUE and as I hopefully correctly recall from my reloading days that are little round flaky type discs. Lol

Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainskytop View Post
Then you have the powder UNIQUE and as I hopefully correctly recall from my reloading days that are little round flaky type discs. Lol
Yep! Flake powder.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #9

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

You just gotta luv the smell of nitrocellulose based powders! Lol

Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use only ball powders. The only reason is becaue I load on a Dillon probresive press. Really you can get ball or extruded powders in any burn rate you want. If your weighting every charge eather will work with the same results.

Catfish
Ohio