Question for the bullet casters
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Question for the bullet casters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Default Question for the bullet casters

Always in the pass when I change the die in my sizer/lubricator (Lyman 450)I would clean up the die that I took out before putting it away. That can be a pretty messy job. I'm just wondering if its necessary. I usually use mineral sprits for cleaning all the old lube off and that can't be good for the O ring and taking it off every time probably doesn't help it either. Then after cleaning you have to oil it with something to keep it from rusting plus next time you use it, you have to get it back full of lube before starting to run the bullets. The lube doesn't seem to get hard over time so I'm thinking about just dropping them in a snack zip lock bag and store the that way. Opinions please. What do you do?

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

ACES 6 Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

Liked 2005 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

I don't clean mine. I just put them in plastic bags.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Same here - I'm with Rick1967 on this one. But by all means, if I'm wrong, someone please speak up.

Christopher A. S. "Boots" Combest
www.facebook.com/christopher.combest

Member: TSRA, NRA, GOA, North American Hunting Club and Ducks Unlimited

"If you get thrown from a horse, you have to get up and get back on, unless you landed on a cactus; then you have to roll around and scream in pain."

string1946 Likes This 
Old 08-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Ok thanks. I think thats the way I'm going to do it in the future. I can keep the top punches that go with each die in the same bag.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

ACES 6 Likes This 
Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I put 'em in old 35mm film cans.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:20 AM   #6

Liked 2005 Times on 1105 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

That is a good idea. But I don't know anybody with a 35 mm camera anymore.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

ACES 6 Likes This 
Old 08-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

i dont clean mine. bullet lube is a great preservative for the die. removing it is probably not helping your dies perform at their best.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

ACES 6 Likes This 
Old 08-16-2013, 11:17 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I use the Lyman 450 with a Midway heater plate and Jake's Products purple ceresin lube. I scrape off the excess from the outside of the die, heat it enough to soften the lube and use a piece of copper wire to clean out the lube holes in the sides of the die. I have found small bits of lead and copper (from gas checks) in the lube holes. I now put them away with out any lube in the holes.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-18-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

i dont use lube dies however im liking the lee alox for my cowboy bullets. very easy and its good enough for the low speed low pressure 45 colt loadings.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #10

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I left them in the lubri-sizer or I removed them and stuck them in a box.
However, about 1976, I ran a bunch of tests and found that sizing was NOT improving anything so I stopped sizing my cast bullets.
Went through pan lubing and now I tumble lube all my cast bullets with LLA. If I ever start casting rifle bullets again, I will go back to the lubri-sizer and the over-size sizing dies.