question about the lnl press

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > question about the lnl press

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default question about the lnl press

has any of the hornaday LNL fans out there had any problems with the dies adjustment moving around during use?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

NO.
If a die works loose, either the die wasn't locked down tight or the bushing worked loose. Neither are the fault of the press.
The only problems I have had are:
1) The powder measure loosening the bushing. The powder measure is VERY top heavy. I had a bushing with what must have been an undersized O-ring. The bushing worked loose and the powder measure went up instead of dispensing. I switched with another bushing and problem solved. I have read others had this problem and Hornady can supply a--what is that word???--any way, a strip of metal that goes between the bushing and press to make the lock-up tighter. A shim!! It's terrible getting old.
2) The primers were not being fully seated. Found that my shell plate had gotten loose. Tightened it down and all was well. Put blue Lok-Tite on it and never had the problem again.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #3

thankyou noylj
I am planning on getting into reloading and currantly looking at the lnl single stage press but was told by a local gunsmith/reloader that he had to canstanly readjust the dies. I kinda thought that the problem was from not locking it down properly

Old 05-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have heard someone complain that his Lee dies kept working loose. Lee uses an O-ring in the locking ring that forms a friction lock. When I turn a Lee lock ring down tight, I have never had a die work loose and can't imagine how it works loose. I tried to ask if his lock rings have an O-ring and he said he didn't care--they worked loose and he now had the dies "duct taped" down so they wouldn't move. I wonder if some people just don't understand lock-rings or what?
With any progressive press, go slow, read the manual and reference at each step, check everything in the beginning, be prepared to call the manufacturer while you are at the press if you have a problem, don't force anything (remove all cases from the shell plate and determine the cause of the problem), and KEEP THINGS CLEAN. If you spill some powder, stop, remove all case, remove shell plate, and clean up the spill. If the powder works its way over to the priming system, it can really mess things up.