Question about .22 ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Question about .22 ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Question about .22 ammo

This may be a stupid question but can you help me understand why some .22 ammo is cleaner shooting then others? For background, I have a SigSauer Mosquito that I really enjoy shooting. Sadly this gun is a real picky eater and only consistently shoots CCI Mini-Mag HP High-Velocity ammo. This stuff costs more then any other .22 ammo I've seen and is becoming increasingly hard to find.

Now I could ask what other stuff would be just as good but I want to understand why the CCI rounds are better and what should I look for in other .22 ammo. Is it a function of it being 'high-velocity'? Is it more about the grain? I noticed the CCI stuff is 36 grain and most others I've seen are 40.

What's the deal? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy130 View Post
This may be a stupid question but can you help me understand why some .22 ammo is cleaner shooting then others? For background, I have a SigSauer Mosquito that I really enjoy shooting. Sadly this gun is a real picky eater and only consistently shoots CCI Mini-Mag HP High-Velocity ammo. This stuff costs more then any other .22 ammo I've seen and is becoming increasingly hard to find.

Now I could ask what other stuff would be just as good but I want to understand why the CCI rounds are better and what should I look for in other .22 ammo. Is it a function of it being 'high-velocity'? Is it more about the grain? I noticed the CCI stuff is 36 grain and most others I've seen are 40.

What's the deal? Thanks!
I think clean is the key word. Those CCI MiniMags are about the cleanest 22s I have found! The Remington GBs are about the dirtiest. I think the powder, priming mix and lube all contribute to overall cleanliness. Federal is the sister company to CCI, and I have found good results with the 510 loading (40gr round nose). Others prefer the 36gr HPs in the value packs, both are often found at Walmart. Try them and see if your Mosquito digests them as well

Old 05-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Actually, the key to .22 ammo is consistency and CCI makes some very good stuff. Note that your Mosquito should have come with 2 recoil springs (mine did), one for "hot" ammo and one for "mild" ammo - be sure the correct spring is installed based on what ammo you're shooting. CCI Mini-Mags use the heavier spring and most bulk ammo will prefer the lighter spring. With the lighter spring installed I've had great success shooting Federal & Winchester bulk packs (Walmart bought) in mine...

A great rule of thumb for buying good .22 ammo:

Avoid any .22 ammo made by Remington

Old 05-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Mini-mags are not that bad. Some Eley is over $15 a box of 50.

But yet remington is by far the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot in anything. I prefer Federal bulk and Winchester. I have far fewer FTF with them than Remingtons golden crap bullets bulks ammo.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #5

Ya that Remington stuff is nuts. I didn't know you could make bullets out of compressed dog turds.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Old 05-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2864 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Some powders are cleaner burning than others. Cheap powder is generally dirty powder. 22 RF ammo is "outside lubricated" meaning the bullet and case have the same diameter. The lead must have some sort of lube to resist leading up the barrel. The cheap stuff has a waxy lube that gums up the works pretty easily. The expensive stuff often times has a copper plated or copper washed bullet to prevent leading. Those tend to leave less residue.

Of course the Remington GB ammo bucks that rationale as the dirty filthy nasty powder they use more than offsets the reduced bullet residue with increased powder residue.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9159 Times on 3955 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

I am paying $18.50/ 50 rounds of Lapua Master .22LR MATCH ammo. Count yerself lucky! Yes, primer, powder, BULLET LUBE all contribute to cleanliness of ammo. PS- the Match ammo feels as if it has been dipped in Vaseline- but DAYUM it shoots good!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:46 AM   #8

I like the Federal 550 bulk packs at Wally World...I find they always go bang (1st priority) and they are not any dirtier than anything else.

Bob

Old 05-29-2010, 06:46 AM   #9

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonfatman View Post
I like the Federal 550 bulk packs at Wally World...I find they always go bang (1st priority) and they are not any dirtier than anything else.

Bob
That's all I've put through any of my 22's. I've been shooting aspirins glued to cardboard from anywhere out to 50 yards (usually around 35-40). with my 10-22's and my born again 22/45. I just can't justify spending more on 22 ammo when it works well at what I'm doing now. Our next thing is gonna be to try peppermints out to 100 yds. That's gonna cost some ammo..heh

Old 05-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #10

DJ,
Peppermints heh? You are going to have fun. I have an Anschutz that would also go through ammo at 100 yards!!

Bob