Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Question for 7mm fans? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/question-7mm-fans-56919/)

cottontop 02-03-2012 02:26 PM

Question for 7mm fans?
 
If you have a 7mm, i.e.; a 7mm-08, 7x57, 7mm Rem. mag., etc., what bullet do you find to be the most accurate? I have been loading the Speer 7mm 120 grain in my 7x57 and accuracy is good, but not great. I realize that there are other factors in reloading that affect accuracy besides the bullet, but I figure this is a good place to start. I have on hand Hornady 139, 154, and 175 grain bullets as well as some Speer 160 grain that I am going to try. So, what is your favorite 7mm bullet?
cottontop

jpattersonnh 02-03-2012 05:05 PM

Generally the 7x57 works best w/ 139gr to 175gr bullets.
My 7mmRem mag is a tack driver w/ 129..175gr.

MrWray 02-03-2012 06:13 PM

I have a 7mmwsm, and i use 140g winchester ballistic silvertips..ive always had really good accuracy with it

Snakedriver 02-03-2012 06:20 PM

My 7mm Rem. Mag. loves the 160 and 162 grain bullets and does well with the 140 and 150 grain bullets too.

cottontop 02-04-2012 12:54 PM

7mm
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 698197)
Generally the 7x57 works best w/ 139gr to 175gr bullets.
My 7mmRem mag is a tack driver w/ 129..175gr.


This actually makes a lot of sense. The 7mm is not really designed to efficiently and consistantly shoot the 120 grain and lighter bullets accurately. I will stick to the 139 grain and above for my 7mm. I might look for one of the .25 calibers or 6.5's for bullets in the 115 to 120 grain weight.
cottontop

Gatoragn 02-04-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cottontop (Post 698109)
If you have a 7mm, i.e.; a 7mm-08, 7x57, 7mm Rem. mag., etc., what bullet do you find to be the most accurate? I have been loading the Speer 7mm 120 grain in my 7x57 and accuracy is good, but not great. I realize that there are other factors in reloading that affect accuracy besides the bullet, but I figure this is a good place to start. I have on hand Hornady 139, 154, and 175 grain bullets as well as some Speer 160 grain that I am going to try. So, what is your favorite 7mm bullet?
cottontop

139 grain Hornady SST my .280 (aka 7mm Express). My 7mm mag likes the 140 grain Nosler Accubond, but I am confident the 139 SST would work also.

Gonzilla 02-07-2012 05:39 AM

I like weight and 160 is approx all you can get to break 3K barrier. (BC)

Axxe55 02-07-2012 05:49 AM

i usually use a 150-160gr in my 7mm Rem. Mag., and a 130-140gr in my 7mm-08. either Sierra Matchking or Gameking bullets. i also use some Nosler and Speer bullets from time to time. my main goal is tiny holes in targets.

after seeing what some others are using, i am giving some thought to stepping up to at least 160-170gr for my 7mm rem. mag. and see what happens in accuracy.

mrb1982 02-07-2012 01:09 PM

I think the 150-160gr is the best out of the Rem Mag personally. I've shot 150gr with good consistancy and I have some test loads built with 162gr Hornady's that I am going to see how they group. I have heard ofa lot of people having good luck with the heavier stuff too but when I start getting up in that 175gr+ I like some other calibers better.

Snakedriver 02-07-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrb1982 (Post 701805)
I think the 150-160gr is the best out of the Rem Mag personally. I've shot 150gr with good consistancy and I have some test loads built with 162gr Hornady's that I am going to see how they group. I have heard ofa lot of people having good luck with the heavier stuff too but when I start getting up in that 175gr+ I like some other calibers better.

The Hornady 162 gr. SPBT's Interlocks are superbly accurate in my Savage 116 in 7mm Rem. Mag. I tried some H4350 initially with pretty good results, but the IMR 4831 has turned into my "go-to" powder choice. It works great in my gun! :cool:


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:12 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.