Pullin projectiles - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Pullin projectiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 08:13 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1946 View Post
I've got one of the kinetic pullers and have used it for years and it works quite well but it can bugger up the nose of the bullet. A while back I needed to pull more than a few .308 bullets because of my own screw up and wasn't looking forward to hammering out that many so I bought a RCBS bullet puller that screws in your press like a die and you buy different collets for different calibers. It made my life a lot easier.
String.... Try This...

Kinectic puller, make sure you put an Ear foamy in the hammer chamber. It will protect the bullet tip from deformation.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Talon View Post
String.... Try This...

Kinectic puller, make sure you put an Ear foamy in the hammer chamber. It will protect the bullet tip from deformation.
Thats a very good idea and I actually have a ziploc bag full of those plugs. Thanks.

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 01-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #13

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This is a real good thread. But some past experience I think is required.

As many of you have built and needed to "D-Mill" different # amounts of ammo, let me start off. If you reload, You will at one time or another have to D-Mill (ie: take apart) certain amounts of ammo.

I've been reloading for over 35 years and there have been many times I made some BAD ammo that required "D-Milling".

I have found that for most pistol calibers, the kinetic pullers work really well. This is the only way to go.

I have tried to D-Mill these pistol rounds with a Collete puller, with minimal results. Most pistol rounds have round nose or FMJ which are difficult to remove the projectile with a Collete puller. Now Most rifle rounds really work good in a Collete puller.

I have both, If you reload both rifle and Pistol cartridges, you need both.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:03 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Cheers!
will give that a GO

Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
This is a real good thread. But some past experience I think is required.

As many of you have built and needed to "D-Mill" different # amounts of ammo, let me start off. If you reload, You will at one time or another have to D-Mill (ie: take apart) certain amounts of ammo.

I've been reloading for over 35 years and there have been many times I made some BAD ammo that required "D-Milling".

I have found that for most pistol calibers, the kinetic pullers work really well. This is the only way to go.

I have tried to D-Mill these pistol rounds with a Collete puller, with minimal results. Most pistol rounds have round nose or FMJ which are difficult to remove the projectile with a Collete puller. Now Most rifle rounds really work good in a Collete puller.

I have both, If you reload both rifle and Pistol cartridges, you need both.

i have to agree. having both is beneficial if you reload both pistol and rilfe loads.

i bought the Frankford Arsenal kinetic puller for $14 and it was a wise investment. works great.

i like that if i make a mistake, i can salvage the components and start over without a total loss.

it's not if you will make a mistake, but when you will make a mistake!