Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Pullin projectiles (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/pullin-projectiles-102265/)

WhelanLad 01-02-2014 08:53 AM

Pullin projectiles

guys I had a mishap while i was reloading last night, I guess the die was turned in too much an when i went full stroke on the Lee press the bullet seated but also 'compressed' the case from the shoulder somewhat... Maybe case lube on inside of neck caused bullet to stick ?duno but anyway the die is seating them nice again...

I have about 8 projectiles sittin in ruined cases, and no bullet puller.... Is there another way to get em out without damaging the projie?

cheers
WL

Jstrong 01-02-2014 12:04 PM

Man I would just go buy a kinetic bullet puller,shouldn't be more 30$ and chances are if you reload enough you'll likely have the same problem again down the road,or load a batch that your gun in particular doesn't like or feed well.

c3shooter 01-02-2014 12:55 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Quick-N-Ez-Impact-Bullet/dp/B001B7ZB4Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388670863&sr=8-1&keywords=bullet+puller+rcbs

$12. You will need it again.

magnumman 01-02-2014 12:58 PM

I keep a row of mangled rounds on the top shelf of my bench to remind myself to double check my setup before I start pulling the lever. But yeah, a bullet puller is a good investment. Even the most experienced reloaders make mistakes.

JW357 01-02-2014 06:46 PM

Another vote for a kinetic bullet puller.

Just snack it on a hard surface like concrete if possible. Smacking it on something "soft" like wood requires more smacks to pull the bullet.

JonM 01-02-2014 07:14 PM

Was pulling bullets last nite, bout 70 9mm, my wife yells wtf is all that noise?? I yelled back its just me learning how to run the auto primer tube loader better....

jebsca 01-02-2014 07:54 PM

I went the rcbs route. Not cheap, but I can pull quick and clean. Works very good when I seat a bullet too deep. Just put it in, pull it out a bit and try again. No mess of powder or anything.

WhelanLad 01-03-2014 06:10 AM

cheers fellas will look into the kinetic puller!

will leave em b for now but may use another case an wobble the tension off them.
cheers
wl

string1946 01-03-2014 06:37 PM

I've got one of the kinetic pullers and have used it for years and it works quite well but it can bugger up the nose of the bullet. A while back I needed to pull more than a few .308 bullets because of my own screw up and wasn't looking forward to hammering out that many so I bought a RCBS bullet puller that screws in your press like a die and you buy different collets for different calibers. It made my life a lot easier.

Steel_Talon 01-03-2014 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhelanLad (Post 1472551)
guys I had a mishap while i was reloading last night, I guess the die was turned in too much an when i went full stroke on the Lee press the bullet seated but also 'compressed' the case from the shoulder somewhat... Maybe case lube on inside of neck caused bullet to stick ?duno but anyway the die is seating them nice again...

I have about 8 projectiles sittin in ruined cases, and no bullet puller.... Is there another way to get em out without damaging the projie?

cheers
WL

If your using the single stage or Turret.

*Remove die from press
*Place cartridge in ram
*Push up into full up stroke position
*Grasp projectile where it meets the brass throat with set of side cutter, or lineman pliers.
*Lower ram and brace the plier on top of press for support.
*Complete ram down stroke while maintaining pressure on bullet
*Viola!

Damage will be kept at a minimum. If you ever go with a Kinectic puller, make sure you put an Ear foamy in the hammer chamber. It'll will protect the bullet tip from deformation.