Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > PSI vs CUP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default PSI vs CUP

Anyone have a conversion formula? It tends to be confusing when some of the loads are listed by copper units of pressure and others by pounds per square inch. SAAMI limits are set in CUP; right or wrong?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You might try downloading this: http://www.chipkin.com/a/resources/SIConverter/

I use it more than I imagined I would have when I downloaded it.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:13 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default conversion

Ok, I'm being told by everyone from the powder manufacturers to SAAMI that there is no conversion available for the "new" PSI standard and the "old" CUP standard. Makes it really difficult to compare ammo pressures when thinking about rechambering a weapon. Even when a cartridge is rated in both units, like the Casull, a conversion supposedly doesn't exist.
The heck of it is that a professor at the University of Texas told me it's mathmatically impossible for two different units of measure to be used for calculating the same variable and there not be a conversion between them in the existence of some sort of ratio. Farenheit to Celsius to Kelvin, for example.
If anyone has any luck with this, please let me know.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:48 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

There is a lot that college professors don't know, no matter what they think they know.

The PSI scale is largely linear but CUP is not, so no "conversion" factor can exist.