Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > pros/cons of reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 02:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 BillyBob - the greatest "pro" to reloading is that you will shoot more, and more often, and that's always a plus in my book!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-09-2009, 03:17 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
+1 BillyBob - the greatest "pro" to reloading is that you will shoot more, and more often, and that's always a plus in my book!
Amen Bro!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
Initial set up requires some cash outlay. Press, bullets, primers, brass, powder, scale, primer flip tray, dies, tumbler etc.,etc. The thing to remember is that the set up pays for itself over time. When you are only purchasing bullets, primers and powder, you really start saving.

The real benefit is being able to custom tune a load that your particular firearm "likes". I recently got back into reloading after a 10 year hiatus. I saved all my factory purchased brass over the years, so that wasn't an issue.I found primers / powder both on line and at the local gunshop. Not tens of thousands like the old times, but 4 or 5K. Cast bullets from Dardas were at my door in a few days. My Dillon square deal press arrived in 4 days.
I ordered a tumbler and scale from Midway. My pet load in .45 ACP (5.0 gr of Bullseye behind an H&G 200 gr.#68 cast semi-wadcutter bullet, sized @ .452) has my old Colt 1911 shooting like a laser beam again. I couldn't be happier.

Figure out what your time is worth, and, of course, whether or not you want to take on the responsibility and learning that go with reloading. For some, the investment isn't worth it. If you live and breath shooting, and want to do a lot of it, get the maximum performance out of your firearm......then I say do it!

Crockett, you absolutely said it perfectly here. I think you helped turn my decision to reloading. I would feel great to custom load ammo for my rifle. I really think that it doesn't like off the shelf ammo. I know exactly what I need to load for the rifle. I need to start a new forum for insight on loads for my rifle.
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.