pros/cons of reloading
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > pros/cons of reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default pros/cons of reloading

What are the pros/cons of reloading your own ammo? Also, how much cost savings is there, especially considering the start up cost of buying the equipment? I imagine the cost savings is relative to the bullet size/caliber, right? How dangerous is it and if it's not done correctly what issues will you have when firing your gun? etc etc etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I've thought about this as well. Here's what I've come up with. (I do not reload at this time)

Pros
1. You can suit your ammunition to your liking for your particular firearms.(weight of bullet, powder type/grains,etc)
2. You can load as much as you want to shoot for the day/week/month/year.
3. In the long run, it's less expensive.
4. I think that kind of thing is satisfying and fun.

Cons

1. You'll need to make a chunk of investment at first to get started.
2. Primer shortage!!
3. What if you foul up the loads!!??
4. More likely to be sude or made to look guilty if you shoot someone with reloads.
5. Voids some warranties on firearms.
6. You'll need space and spousal approval if you're married/attached.

It's just not worth it for me at this time to get into reloading, but I may regret it.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #3

The only prior experience I had was with a Lee Loader for my first shotgun. Later in life I found out whether I would be interested by spending some time with a close friend who had years of experience. If you know someone who reloads they will usually let you watch, and probably let you use their equipment to practice and make some of your own loads if you supply the brass, bullets, powder and primers. It has added many hours to my enjoyment of the sport. Be prepared to get hooked!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:42 AM   #4

pros: lots of them. couple of the best being satisfaction and relaxation. cons: -------------------------------as long as you utilize a little common sense, none. find someone that reloads and have them show you how. you will be hooked. good luck.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #5

Liked 43 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

pros:when I cant find it at walmart I can go home and make it!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Pro - No one bothers me when I am loading or casting. It is "me" time.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Initial set up requires some cash outlay. Press, bullets, primers, brass, powder, scale, primer flip tray, dies, tumbler etc.,etc. The thing to remember is that the set up pays for itself over time. When you are only purchasing bullets, primers and powder, you really start saving.

The real benefit is being able to custom tune a load that your particular firearm "likes". I recently got back into reloading after a 10 year hiatus. I saved all my factory purchased brass over the years, so that wasn't an issue.I found primers / powder both on line and at the local gunshop. Not tens of thousands like the old times, but 4 or 5K. Cast bullets from Dardas were at my door in a few days. My Dillon square deal press arrived in 4 days.
I ordered a tumbler and scale from Midway. My pet load in .45 ACP (5.0 gr of Bullseye behind an H&G 200 gr.#68 cast semi-wadcutter bullet, sized @ .452) has my old Colt 1911 shooting like a laser beam again. I couldn't be happier.

Figure out what your time is worth, and, of course, whether or not you want to take on the responsibility and learning that go with reloading. For some, the investment isn't worth it. If you live and breath shooting, and want to do a lot of it, get the maximum performance out of your firearm......then I say do it!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablooie View Post
How dangerous is it and if it's not done correctly what issues will you have when firing your gun?
It's kinda like Darwinism, the dumb ones get culled from the herd!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-09-2009, 01:00 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

There are no "cons" to reloading. It saves you money, allows you to squeeze all the accuracy possible from your firearms by constructing customized ammo specific to that firearm, and it is a fun hobby. Yes there is an initial start-up cost, but isn't that the case with any hobby? The difference with reloading is that after the initial outlay of about $300 for gear, you will have that gear forever and only need to buy bullets, brass, powder, and primers.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 AM   #10

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default No cons-Just Pros!!!

Cons: Only if you are in too much of a hurry, are too stupid to NOT heed warnings/instructions, have too much money, and not enough time. Pros: After initial purchase of the main tools (press, scale,measure,trimmer,de-burr tool,etc.) when you add calibers to your stock, you just buy dies/poss. shell holder, and go to town on your new custom loads--NOTHING that you will find on the shelves at WallyWorld. Myself, I have bought components in a new caliber (new to me), and loaded the rounds before I bought the gun!! I have done that in .22 Hornet, 9MM, and as of late 6MM Remington. When I took those firearms home, I already had my own hand loads for them==Did NOT have to depend on WallyWorld, or some High Ball Gun Shop to supply me with rounds. I LIKE that kind of independence!!

NRA Life MEMBER 1976