Propellant energy density question - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Propellant energy density question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeEmAll235 View Post
But they develop new cartridges all the time. By far I don't mean this concept as a way to obtain super high velocities. I mean to obtain standard velocities without bottleneck and large case volume or let's say 7.62x39 to have energy nearing 7.62x51.
Smokeless can detonate and if it does in the chamber, it won't rip it open, but rather pulverize it.
May be after all the gun community is ultra conservative, they won't even embrace the idea of .45 GAP much because it's new standard and wears the gun faster, and it's to be expected, it'll take time for the manufacturers to even consider making such new cartridge and weapons.
I beg to differ, but the only way smokless powder can detonate is if it can't vent pressure somehow. By pushing a bullet out of the bbl, gives a controlled burn rate (thus a safety valve of sorts) a controlled way to vent pressure. This is different of course from building overpressure because of a powder overload or a fast burning powder building pressure faster than the "safety valve" can vent said pressure.
Any flammable material, be it smokless powder, black powder, even a can of diesel fuel/fertilizer mix, can build pressure and explode if not vented sufficiently. For that matter an air tank can blow up if subjected to excessive pressure.
Its all about containing the pressure buildup vs venting excessive pressure that determines whether you have an explosion or rapidly vented pressure.