Problems with reloads
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Problems with reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3727 Times on 2284 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default Problems with reloads

So, my wife and I have been trying to shoot our M&Ps lately. One is pleasantly used/broken in, and the other is new and I've put maybe 100 rounds through it so far.
When we shoot my reloads, we're getting a failure to eject on almost every shot. I know it's an ammo issue because today we put a box of PMC through them without an issue.
I tend to load my reloads on the low end of the manufacturer's recommended powder charges. I do this because to cut down on recoil for plinking purposes. I'm wondering. If the powder charge is too light to cycle the handgun correctly? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
Here's my recipe I'm currently using: 3.0 grains of Silhouette, 125 grain round nose cast bullets, and Winchester Small Pistol primers. Here's a link to the bullets I'm using: http://shop.snscasting.com/9MM-125-GR-RN-9mm-125RN.htm

Thanks for the help!

Always have clean socks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #2

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

It does sound like an under powered load, try going with a medium load. I usually run less than max load for pistols.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 05-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8817 Times on 5100 Posts
Likes Given: 11490

You also might try firming up your grip a bit. "Limp wristing" can cause that problem, and with a lighter load that can be more noticeable.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #4

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Using r silhouette for a 125 gn jacketed bullet my lee manual says 4.3 to 5 gns 1.035 oal. So I would look into that or maybe get a lighter recoil spring I'd your going to chase light loads, should help with the ejection

Old 05-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
You also might try firming up your grip a bit. "Limp wristing" can cause that problem, and with a lighter load that can be more noticeable.
With respect, I'm not limp wristing. I basically have a death grip on my gun, and I use Talon grips (not the rubber ones. The hard abrasive ones are on my gun). Plus, its happening on every single shot, approximately 6-7 magazines worth today. Not just for me with my compact sized gun, but for my wife in her full sized gun.

I don't think limp wristing is the issue.

Edit: also, as stated in my post, we put a box of PMC today through our guns without a single issue.

Neither of us changed our grip or stance throughout the day.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 05-27-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 05-27-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraj
Using r silhouette for a 125 gn jacketed bullet my lee manual says 4.3 to 5 gns 1.035 oal. So I would look into that or maybe get a lighter recoil spring I'd your going to chase light loads, should help with the ejection
Interesting, the load data I found on their website said 3.0 was the minimum and around 4.2 (I think, having trouble remembering the max) is the max. I'm gonna just have to buy a reloading manual I guess.

Although i don't get it, since it came directly from their website. You would think it would match the reloading manuals.

Always have clean socks.

Last edited by JW357; 05-27-2013 at 07:03 AM.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
With respect, I'm not limp wristing. I basically have a death grip on my gun, and I use Talon grips (not the rubber ones. The hard abrasive ones are on my gun). Plus, its happening on every single shot, approximately 6-7 magazines worth today. Not just for me with my compact sized gun, but for my wife in her full sized gun.

I don't think limp wristing is the issue.

Edit: also, as stated in my post, we put a box of PMC today through our guns without a single issue.

Neither of us changed our grip or stance throughout the day.
I did not mean to imply that you were limp-wristing. Anyhow, it sounds like the load is too weak in any case. BTW, a "death grip" is not ideal either if you want good accuracy. Somewhere in between is where most shooters find their "sweet spot" for accuracy. It also depends on the gun/caliber you are shooting. I don't have any 9mm, so maybe I should just shut up now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
Interesting, the load data I found on their website said 3.0 was the minimum and around 4.2 (I think, having trouble remembering the max) is the max. I'm gonna just have to buy a reloading manual I guess.

Although. Don't get it, since it came directly from their website. You would the it would match the reloading manuals.

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."

Old 05-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

I did not mean to imply that you were limp-wristing. Anyhow, it sounds like the load is too weak in any case. BTW, a "death grip" is not ideal either if you want good accuracy. Somewhere in between is where most shooters find their "sweet spot" for accuracy. It also depends on the gun/caliber you are shooting. I don't have any 9mm, so maybe I should just shut up now...
Fair enough. Maybe death grip isn't the right way to put it. I'm not really straining or shaking. Anyway, its prolly just too weak of a load. Thanks for the advice.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 AM   #9

Just looked it up on Ramshot's website and they start at 4.0 grains and list 5.0 as the max load. If you are loading at only 3 grains that is an unsafe load on the low end. You are risking a squib load IMO. I would pull all of those rounds and reload them to 4 grains or more.

Quote:

Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Just looked it up on Ramshot's website and they start at 4.0 grains and list 5.0 as the max load. If you are loading at only 3 grains that is an unsafe load on the low end. You are risking a squib load IMO. I would pull all of those rounds and reload them to 4 grains or more.
Yet another reason why I need a reloading manual. Apparently the internets confuses me... What on earth did I do wrong here...

Oh well, thanks guys. Now, I wonder if Barnes and Noble sells reloading manuals...

Always have clean socks.