Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Problems and disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 01:49 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

From the evidence you're providing, I'm willing to bet the problem you are having is 2 fold.

1.) Get rid of the Hornady "One Shot", and get some Dillon Case Lube. There are others that work well, but of all of them that I've tried, Dillon is by far the best.

2.) Your expander plug is over expanding the inside of your case necks. Combined with the lack of lubricity of the Hornady Case Lube = Stuck case and torn case rim. I think at this point a change in case lube, along with being sure to lube the inside of the neck, and a new expander plug, (they are quite inexpensive), and your problems will vanish. Just a tip. When you pick up a new expander plug get several decapping pins with it. They are very inexpensive, and it's good to have several extras on hand. It is very easy to break one if the case or flash hole is misaligned.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7301 Times on 4240 Posts
Likes Given: 9409

Another vote for the Dillon case lube. We used the Hornady One-Shot but had several stuck cases with that. We might not have been applying the One Shot correctly though. In any case we prefer the Dillon lube.

Also agree with the recommendation that you replace the neck expander, I would never use one that has been modified the way you did with yours. Get a spare to have on hand as well as spare decapping pins. I have some of the Dillon resizing/decapping dies which have a floating decapping pin ( I like them) but the retaining clips break, so I have a bag of those on hand as well.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 AM   #23

The modification I did was only a temporary fix to get through the cases I had already started (and just to see if I could figure it out and fix it). That die set was a redding and I have since ordered an RCBS die set. I ordered it when I realized I was having problems with the only major component I owned that wasn't RCBS. The new die should be here in the next couple of days. I also used it as an excuse to order an 8x57 die that I had been wanting. I figured I only needed to pay shipping once

Old 04-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #24

Liked 712 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 859

I would suggest looking at a set of Lee Precision Dies. They have a very
robust design.

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/

http://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instruct/RM3508.pdf

I have Hornaday and RCBS dies but all my reloading is done on Lee Dies
also their factory crimp dies are an excellent design.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #25

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Let us know how everything works out.