Problems and disappointment - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Problems and disappointment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy View Post
Long story short, the bullet wouldn't seat because my die was damaged and didn't size the neck properly. After fixing that, I took the de-priming pin out (my cases had good primers in them) and started resizing my cases again.
I'm not understanding the problem you fixed with your damaged die? Perhaps you could elaborate a bit? If it's not sizing the neck properly is it due to the die not ground to the correct size? How did you fix it? Also, remember it is very important to lube the inside of the case necks. If you don't the expander plug can easily stick in the case neck and cause that. I make it a point to take a Q-Tip soaked in case lube and lubricate the inside of each case neck individually. It really is the only way you can be assured each one has proper lubrication. The expander plug should pass through the case mouth with very little force.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #12

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyGuy View Post
Has anyone out there ever had that problem with the collar ripping off like that? It was a new one for me. And I am by no means ruling out operator error, as I have only been reloading for about five months now.
Most reloaders have that issue at one time or another. Lack of lubricant
is the main problem.

A few suggestions, make sure you lubricate your cases well. Also clean the
die out well after each use and leave a light coat of oil or rust preventive on
the die in storage, dirt and rust will increase friction and likelyhood of a stuck
case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtymer35 View Post
I have never used any of the spray lubes. I've been reloading since 1950 and I continue to use the old fashioned method - an RCBS Lube Pad and RCBS case lube. I will admit that I had two cases stick in the resizing die over the years, and both times it was because I forgot to lube the case. I also invested in a stuck case remover after the first incident.
I use the same system it works well and no waiting for cases to dry. With
larger rifle cases I lube every case I have learned with .223 Remington, I only
need to lube every 3rd case, there is enough carry over between cases.
That speeds up resizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I make it a point to take a Q-Tip soaked in case lube and lubricate the inside of each case neck individually. It really is the only way you can be assured each one has proper lubrication.
Powdered Mica works well and eliminates the possibility of getting liquids in
the case that could cause a misfire.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Powdered Mica works well and eliminates the possibility of getting liquids in the case that could cause a misfire.
The problem with powdered Mica, and most of the other "dry lubes" is they don't work anywhere near as well. They will also wear your expander plug out much quicker. This especially holds true with large Magnum chamberings. I have adapted the process of using Alcohol / Lanolin based case lube on both the inside of the case neck, as well as the outside of the case. I don't worry about any liquid contamination because I tumble all of my brass after the resizing / depriming operation. I've found over time it really is the only way to remove all traces of case lubricant, and completely clean the primer pockets.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #14

One other thing I would ask is what brand and type of case lube are you using? Some brands are much better than others. Hornady "One Shot" is notorious for causing problems like this. While some use it with success, most avoid it. If you read a lot of the customer reviews of it on websites like Midway, you will see a lot of complaints like yours.

I've tried them all at one time or another, and found Dillon Case Lube to work the best.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23666/catid/8/Dillon_Case_Lube__8_oz__Bottle_

It comes in a pump bottle, and is very fast and easy to apply. Like most of these types of lubricants, it is diluted in the bottle with alcohol, and applies very thin. It disperses itself around the case. Then as the alcohol evaporates, (this takes less than a minute), it becomes very tacky and adheres to the surface of the case. Of all of these type of case lubes Dillon's D.C.L. gives the best results.

I use a couple of rimmed cookie sheets to spread my brass out on, then spray. You don't want to go overboard and use too much because it can build up on the shoulder of the case and cause hydraulic "denting". This will occur when too much lube builds up on the case and cannot be compressed between the case and the surface of the die itself. It will then push the case in causing a dent to appear at or near the shoulder of the case. This doesn't hurt anything, but it is a sign of using too much case lubricant.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtymer35 View Post
I have never used any of the spray lubes. I've been reloading since 1950 and I continue to use the old fashioned method - an RCBS Lube Pad and RCBS case lube. I will admit that I had two cases stick in the resizing die over the years, and both times it was because I forgot to lube the case. I also invested in a stuck case remover after the first incident.
That's also how I operate.. The old fashioned way. Another thing: Using too much lube can cause problems too. Also, carbide dies are the only dies where you do not need or use lube but carbide is only used in pistol dies so that don;t matter much here

Old 04-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan View Post
Also, carbide dies are the only dies where you do not need or use lube but carbide is only used in pistol dies so that don;t matter much here.
You still are required to use case lube with Carbide bottle necked rifle dies, (.223, .308, .30-06, .50 BMG). Especially on the inside of the case neck. If you load straight walled pistol brass with a Carbide resizer die, then it is not required. Dillon sells many of their larger progressive machines with a Carbide die option for rifle calibers.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
You still are required to use case lube with Carbide bottle necked rifle dies, (.223, .308, .30-06, .50 BMG). Especially on the inside of the case neck. If you load straight walled pistol brass with a Carbide resizer die, then it is not required. Dillon sells many of their larger progressive machines with a Carbide die option for rifle calibers.
LOL.. You can see how long it's been since I bought any dies

Old 04-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt

I'm not understanding the problem you fixed with your damaged die? Perhaps you could elaborate a bit? If it's not sizing the neck properly is it due to the die not ground to the correct size? How did you fix it? Also, remember it is very important to lube the inside of the case necks. If you don't the expander plug can easily stick in the case neck and cause that. I make it a point to take a Q-Tip soaked in case lube and lubricate the inside of each case neck individually. It really is the only way you can be assured each one has proper lubrication. The expander plug should pass through the case mouth with very little force.
Forgive me if I get some of the terminology wrong. I believe what I fixed was the expander plug. Where it screws onto the rod, it had split several times as if I had screwed it on too tight. Because of that it was expanding the neck of the case to the point I could put the bullet into the case by hand and still be loose. I took my dremel and ground it down so that it would work properly again.

I will have to try the Q-tip idea on the next cases I size. The most difficult part of sizing for me has always been when the expander plug is coming out of the case.
image-3015165275.jpg  

Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt
One other thing I would ask is what brand and type of case lube are you using? Some brands are much better than others. Hornady "One Shot" is notorious for causing problems like this. While some use it with success, most avoid it. If you read a lot of the customer reviews of it on websites like Midway, you will see a lot of complaints like yours.
I am using Hornady one shot. It's what the guys at my local gun store recommended, but I'm definitely willing to try others until I find one that works well for me.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I've only ever had this problem with Hornady dies. I got some Hornady One Shot and problem solved.

I only use RCBS resizer dies now though. All I use is the RCBS lube and pad and I've never had a problem, and I never have to worry about any lube fouling my powder or primers. I do like the Hornady bullet seater die better, but for resizing RCBS is the best.