Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Problems and disappointment (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/problems-disappointment-61499/)

ArmyGuy 03-31-2012 05:24 AM

Problems and disappointment

2 Attachment(s)
I was in my local gun store today and saw (my future new toy) the RCBS charge master combo sitting on the shelf all alone. I couldn't in good conscious allow it to stay there, so I brought it home. All I wanted to do was use it sometime today. I charged the first case and tried to seat the first bullet of the batch (of 50). Long story short, the bullet wouldn't seat because my die was damaged and didn't size the neck properly. After fixing that, I took the de-priming pin out (my cases had good primers in them) and started resizing my cases again. On the 10th one the collar as I call it ripped off of my case leaving it stuck in the resizing die. After about two hours I had the stuck case removed and the rest of that batch resized.

After trying my shortcut and learning my lesson from the school of hard knocks. I de-primed/sized all the cases, throwing the primers away. They are now in the tumbler again and I will re-prime and charge them tomorrow hopefully.

Has anyone out there ever had that problem with the collar ripping off like that? It was a new one for me. And I am by no means ruling out operator error, as I have only been reloading for about five months now.

rjd3282 03-31-2012 07:42 AM

Looks like you didn't have enough lube on it and the case got stuck. The problem isn't that you ripped off the rim of the case the problem is why. Not enough lube. Probably happens to everyone at least once. :)

Dan308 03-31-2012 02:39 PM

yep case lube problem. If you have a tough time sizing the case, you'll have a tougher time getting it out of the die. Try different kinds of lube till you find the one that works for you.

robocop10mm 03-31-2012 03:42 PM

Insufficient lube. Even though they were previously (almost) sized, they need lube. I would never risk running a rifle case though a sizer die w/o lube. Some handgun cases, but never rifles. Too much surface area.

ArmyGuy 03-31-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Insufficient lube. Even though they were previously (almost) sized, they need lube. I would never risk running a rifle case though a sizer die w/o lube. Some handgun cases, but never rifles. Too much surface area.

I totally agree with you..... now. This will definitely go in my stack of lessons learned. Sadly I usually have to learn these things the hard way so I can experience the results, or lack there of first hand.

JonM 03-31-2012 05:02 PM

if your using a alcohol based spray lube not waiting for the alcohol to evaporate will do the same thing as too little lube

Dan308 03-31-2012 06:22 PM

Had that problem with Cabela's spray case lube. Had to wait too long then didn't work that good. Back to RCBS case lube-2. works every time.

Rick1967 03-31-2012 06:28 PM

I have had problems with Cabelas case lube as well. Now if I use it, I use plenty of it, and let it dry for a couple of minutes.

BlueTurf 03-31-2012 06:41 PM

Yes, I had this exact problem once. I was loading for my .270. I was using a small-base die because my rifle is pump action. I did not put enough lube on the case. This was in the days before the nice spray lube was available. I was using one of those old pads that you lube and roll the cases on. I got a case stuck in the die and a guy who said he could help me ruined my die trying to get the case out. I had to buy another sizer die. I progressed to the Hornady sizing lube that is applied with the fingers and that worked better , then went on to the Hornady One Shot spray lube. This stuff works great.

oldtymer35 03-31-2012 06:46 PM

I have never used any of the spray lubes. I've been reloading since 1950 and I continue to use the old fashioned method - an RCBS Lube Pad and RCBS case lube. I will admit that I had two cases stick in the resizing die over the years, and both times it was because I forgot to lube the case. I also invested in a stuck case remover after the first incident.