Primers not flush with bottom of brass
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primers not flush with bottom of brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Primers not flush with bottom of brass

A buddy and I are brand new to reloading. We have a Lee 1000 progressive reloading set for 9mm. On some of our completed rounds the primers aren't mounted flush to the bottom of the brass. By that I don't mean they stick out a ridiculous amount but you can feel it better than see it. Are those few rounds safe to fire? The over all length of the round is with in the specs set by the Lee Reloader booklet and the Lyman's recipe book we use.

If they aren't safe to shoot could we put them back in the Primer seating section of the reloader to seat them deeper? Thanks!

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

What you'll find if the primers are not deep enough is that the weapon will not go into battery due the primer touching the bolt face and causing head space issues. They will go bang just getting them to feed will be the problem. Run them through the press again and ever so gently seat them deeper. Don't get violent with it. If you do get violent you may think about dawning eye pro if you haven't done so already. Lol

Old 02-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 332 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Are you sure you have the right primer? Not small magnum or small rifle.

Did you clean out the primer pocket of carbon build up?

If both of those are yes, run them again or get a hand priming tool.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

NO NO NO!! High primers are not good. They can cause chambering issues and potentially slam fires.

The type of primer has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. Small primers are dimensionally the same, be they rifle, pistol, mag or standard.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinoif3 View Post
If you do get violent you may think about dawning eye pro if you haven't done so already. Lol
Actually we wore face sheilds, we were slightly nervous, it was our first run lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Are you sure you have the right primer? Not small magnum or small rifle.

Did you clean out the primer pocket of carbon build up?

If both of those are yes, run them again or get a hand priming tool.
They are the right primers, unless Remington mislabeled lol. Well, thats one thing we didnt do was clean the pocket. We figured since we were using once fired brass we didnt need to.

I think part of the issue was the reloader arm; Lee made 'improvements' to the arm. Its not the wooden ball anymore its a thinner rod that bends at a 90° with a padded handle. Definitely not as firm as the wooden ball handled one. Felt like we were going to bend the new style handle.

Ok, thanks fellers! Ill let him know to run them through the primer seating phase again.

"Everything that man designs carries with in it the seeds of its own destruction."

-------------

"One thing history shows us is that Man does not learn anything from Our past. And maybe that is the biggest lesson we should learn from history."

Old 02-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5949 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 5515

Unless you're shooting bench rest rifles you do not need to clean primer pockets.

Progressive reloaders have no provision for cleaning pockets and their ammo is as good as single stage.

Winston Churchill

Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

I am not familiar with the Lee progressive, but my Dillon has an adjustable stop to regulate how deep the primers are seated. Check to see if you need to make an adjustment.

Cleaning primer pockets is not mandatory but I do it almost every time, just to insure reliable ignition. Using the Dillon, I make a pass just sizing/decapping. I then check primer pockets and clean as necessary, inspect for flaws, remove any primer pocket crimps as necessary. THEN, I load.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 AM   #8

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I have a Lee Pro 1000, you have watch for powder spilling on the primer seating pin. This will cause primers to seat off center and will give you the raised effect.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #9

Liked 1907 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

There is no way I would try to reseat a primer in a loaded round. That is asking for an accident. You only need one "Bang" to turn all your neighbors into your enemys. I would pull the bullets and start over.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 02-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #10

Liked 2612 Times on 1179 Posts
Likes Given: 2531

Rick hit the nail on the head. Pushing on a primer in a loaded round is a bad idea.