Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Primers not flush with bottom of brass (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/primers-not-flush-bottom-brass-83727/)

SmokyMtnHiker 02-08-2013 03:43 PM

Primers not flush with bottom of brass

A buddy and I are brand new to reloading. We have a Lee 1000 progressive reloading set for 9mm. On some of our completed rounds the primers aren't mounted flush to the bottom of the brass. By that I don't mean they stick out a ridiculous amount but you can feel it better than see it. Are those few rounds safe to fire? The over all length of the round is with in the specs set by the Lee Reloader booklet and the Lyman's recipe book we use.

If they aren't safe to shoot could we put them back in the Primer seating section of the reloader to seat them deeper? Thanks!

dustinoif3 02-08-2013 05:21 PM

What you'll find if the primers are not deep enough is that the weapon will not go into battery due the primer touching the bolt face and causing head space issues. They will go bang just getting them to feed will be the problem. Run them through the press again and ever so gently seat them deeper. Don't get violent with it. If you do get violent you may think about dawning eye pro if you haven't done so already. Lol

aandabooks 02-08-2013 06:05 PM

Are you sure you have the right primer? Not small magnum or small rifle.

Did you clean out the primer pocket of carbon build up?

If both of those are yes, run them again or get a hand priming tool.

robocop10mm 02-08-2013 09:32 PM

NO NO NO!! High primers are not good. They can cause chambering issues and potentially slam fires.

The type of primer has absolutely NOTHING to do with this. Small primers are dimensionally the same, be they rifle, pistol, mag or standard.

SmokyMtnHiker 02-08-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinoif3 (Post 1129482)
If you do get violent you may think about dawning eye pro if you haven't done so already. Lol

Actually we wore face sheilds, we were slightly nervous, it was our first run lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by aandabooks (Post 1129548)
Are you sure you have the right primer? Not small magnum or small rifle.

Did you clean out the primer pocket of carbon build up?

If both of those are yes, run them again or get a hand priming tool.

They are the right primers, unless Remington mislabeled lol. Well, thats one thing we didnt do was clean the pocket. We figured since we were using once fired brass we didnt need to.

I think part of the issue was the reloader arm; Lee made 'improvements' to the arm. Its not the wooden ball anymore its a thinner rod that bends at a 90 with a padded handle. Definitely not as firm as the wooden ball handled one. Felt like we were going to bend the new style handle.

Ok, thanks fellers! Ill let him know to run them through the primer seating phase again.

locutus 02-08-2013 09:53 PM

Unless you're shooting bench rest rifles you do not need to clean primer pockets.

Progressive reloaders have no provision for cleaning pockets and their ammo is as good as single stage.

robocop10mm 02-08-2013 10:55 PM

I am not familiar with the Lee progressive, but my Dillon has an adjustable stop to regulate how deep the primers are seated. Check to see if you need to make an adjustment.

Cleaning primer pockets is not mandatory but I do it almost every time, just to insure reliable ignition. Using the Dillon, I make a pass just sizing/decapping. I then check primer pockets and clean as necessary, inspect for flaws, remove any primer pocket crimps as necessary. THEN, I load.

tri70 02-09-2013 03:52 AM

I have a Lee Pro 1000, you have watch for powder spilling on the primer seating pin. This will cause primers to seat off center and will give you the raised effect.

Rick1967 02-09-2013 03:59 AM

There is no way I would try to reseat a primer in a loaded round. That is asking for an accident. You only need one "Bang" to turn all your neighbors into your enemys. I would pull the bullets and start over.

rjd3282 02-09-2013 06:37 AM

Rick hit the nail on the head. Pushing on a primer in a loaded round is a bad idea.