Primers - Page 2


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primers

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
assualtready070's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 44
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I am new to reloading so some might think this question is stupid. What kind of primer does a 223 take large rifle or small rifle, I'm leaning towards small primer but some one told me at gander mountain that its a large rifle primer?



__________________
assualtready070 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ShagNasty1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,526
Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by assualtready070
I am new to reloading so some might think this question is stupid. What kind of primer does a 223 take large rifle or small rifle, I'm leaning towards small primer but some one told me at gander mountain that its a large rifle primer?
Small rifle


__________________
ShagNasty1001 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,568
Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

223/556 uses small rifle primers. If your loading for an ar15 do not use benchrest type primers as the floating firing pin in a ar15 can easily set those off on chambering a round and can cause slamfires.

If you use a titanium firing pin in your ar15 any small rifle primer can be used. Steel pin do not use benchrest primers

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
locutus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,305
Liked 5703 Times on 3224 Posts
Likes Given: 5123

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
223/556 uses small rifle primers. If your loading for an ar15 do not use benchrest type primers as the floating firing pin in a ar15 can easily set those off on chambering a round and can cause slamfires.

If you use a titanium firing pin in your ar15 any small rifle primer can be used. Steel pin do not use benchrest primers
Remington 7 1/2 are MilSpec and Remington uses them in their military contract ammo.

They are marked "bench rest" on the box.
__________________
“We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us.”


Winston Churchill
locutus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,568
Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

Remington isnt exactly good at making quality reliable ammunition either...

Actual benchrest primers tend to be a little thinner as benchrest guns are designed with slightly weaker hammer springs to help trigger pull. Im not sure any actual benchresters use remington primers

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #16
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
25-5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,272
Liked 769 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
223/556 uses small rifle primers. If your loading for an ar15 do not use benchrest type primers as the floating firing pin in a ar15 can easily set those off on chambering a round and can cause slamfires.

If you use a titanium firing pin in your ar15 any small rifle primer can be used. Steel pin do not use benchrest primers
Jon
I shoot an M1A and was told to use CCI #4 or CCI BR primers to prevent slam fire. So far with the BR primers (600 +) no problem. Had some double taps on recoil, but that I resolved with awareness. I would appreciate your opinion.
Thanks
__________________

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

25-5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #17
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 17,568
Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default

cci are the gold standard primer in my book. if you choose to use br primers just make sure its pointed in a safe direction on loading. in floating firing pin guns you should stick with harder primers. its not going to go boom everytime the bolt closes, you just run a much higher risk of slam fire. ive seen it happen to some folks using factory 308 ammo in m1a before.

oh one other thing, benchrest primers tend to be a little thinner and with the very energetic firing mechanisms of military style semi-autos and you run a real risk of pierced primers. if you get a pierced primer all that hot gass jets into the bolt area and can result in damage to your bolt assembly.

i dont use br primers in any of my guns since i dont have reduced power hammer springs in any gun i own. i dont think they are necessary and can be dangerous in firearms not designed to utilize them.

i know magtech uses very thin primers and i get pierced primers in their 44mag pistol ammo in my ruger 44 carbine.

just my opinion

__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...


Last edited by JonM; 01-16-2013 at 01:35 AM.
JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:57 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
25-5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,272
Liked 769 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
cci are the gold standard primer in my book. if you choose to use br primers just make sure its pointed in a safe direction on loading. in floating firing pin guns you should stick with harder primers. its not going to go boom everytime the bolt closes, you just run a much higher risk of slam fire. ive seen it happen to some folks using factory 308 ammo in m1a before.

oh one other thing, benchrest primers tend to be a little thinner and with the very energetic firing mechanisms of military style semi-autos and you run a real risk of pierced primers. if you get a pierced primer all that hot gass jets into the bolt area and can result in damage to your bolt assembly.

i dont use br primers in any of my guns since i dont have reduced power hammer springs in any gun i own. i dont think they are necessary and can be dangerous in firearms not designed to utilize them.

i know magtech uses very thin primers and i get pierced primers in their 44mag pistol ammo in my ruger 44 carbine.

just my opinion
Thanks
I will use the BR in my bolts. Standard CCI in the battle rifle.


__________________

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

25-5 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Primers? fupuk Ammunition & Reloading 31 12-07-2012 05:18 AM
Primers SwampDonkey Ammunition & Reloading 12 08-01-2012 03:22 AM
rifle mag primers -v- large rifle primers ricardo Ammunition & Reloading 14 11-17-2010 04:19 PM
Where's the primers????? 753X0 Ammunition & Reloading 0 09-24-2009 02:12 AM