Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Primers (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/primers-80256/)

biggun 01-03-2013 10:43 PM

Primers

I got a question about primers, Is Rifle primers has hard has pistol primers or they all the same metal

Kraj 01-03-2013 11:15 PM

The main difference between pistol and rifle primers is the size of the blast to light the powder, not how hard the firing pon needs to hit it

Olympus 01-03-2013 11:30 PM

Rifle primers are taller than pistol primers due to the deeper pocket on rifle cases.

robocop10mm 01-04-2013 02:28 AM

Wait, Please go back and edit your original post. The spelling and grammar make the question unclear.

Sport45 01-04-2013 12:08 PM

In a nutshell...

Small rifle and small pistol are the same size. The rifle version can be used for pistol with load adjustments but you may not have enough firing pin impact to light them reliably. Small pistol primers should not be used for rifle because piercing and firing pin / bolt face erosion are likely.

Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers and the two should never be used as substitutes for the other.

Magnum primers in either flavor generate more flame in order to light magnum powders. They may or may not have harder cups than their standard brethren. If using magnum primers where the load data doesn't call for them you should reduce your load and work back up.

urquidez 01-04-2013 01:17 PM

Hello I'm going to start reloading .45acp soon what primers are used for that Cal small or large pistol primers

robocop10mm 01-04-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urquidez (Post 1079404)
Hello I'm going to start reloading .45acp soon what primers are used for that Cal small or large pistol primers

Mostly large pistol primers. Some newer .45 cases take small pistol primers. Speer RHT "green ammo" is the main culprit here. Speer does not make non-toxic large primers so they make different cases for the green stuff. I hear rumors of Federal non-toxic ammo made the same way. Speer and Federal are owned by the same outfit, so that would make sense.

nitestalker 01-04-2013 01:59 PM

You need to study all reloading items. There will be hundreds of ideas on these forums. Reloading allows you to make a load that works best for you. :)

urquidez 01-04-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 1079427)

Mostly large pistol primers. Some newer .45 cases take small pistol primers. Speer RHT "green ammo" is the main culprit here. Speer does not make non-toxic large primers so they make different cases for the green stuff. I hear rumors of Federal non-toxic ammo made the same way. Speer and Federal are owned by the same outfit, so that would make sense.

Ty you very much for the info will have to look more into that

Kraj 01-09-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urquidez

In the manual you are looking up loads in they will state what size they used with the loads