Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Fupuk, please follow the recommendations and warnings from your component manufactures and loading manuals, not those from a stranger on the internet.

You will find reference to Lawyers and the dumming down of of loads and data quite often. Older manuals often times have data with much higher charge weights than newer manuals. There are those that are quick to blame Lawyers for the new reduced data, when in reality the new data is most likely the result of better more accurate modern pressure testing procedures and equipment. I would suspect the Remington Primer warning is the result of this as well.

Again, Remington warns against the use of their 1 1/2 primers in the 357, please heed this warning, it is there for a reason.

Here is the warning from Remington's web site.

In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.

http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/167/kw/primers/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1NDc0NzAwMi9zaWQvUDJ5dmQqY2w%3D

Last edited by steve4102; 12-05-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2192 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 195

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post
Fupuk, please follow the recommendations and warnings from your component manufactures and loading manuals, not those from a stranger on the internet.

You will find reference to Lawyers and the dumming down of of loads and data quite often. Older manuals often times have data with much higher charge weights than newer manuals. There are those that are quick to blame Lawyers for the new reduced data, when in reality the new data is most likely the result of better more accurate modern pressure testing procedures and equipment. I would suspect the Remington Primer warning is the result of this as well.
Again, Remington warns against the use of their 1 1/2 primers in the 357, please heed this warning, it is there for a reason.
Here is the warning from Remington's web site.
In pistol cartridges, the 1-1/2 small pistol primer should not be used in the 357 Magnum, 357 SIG or the 40 S&W. The 5-1/2 small pistol primer is the proper selection for these rounds.
http://remington.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/167/kw/primers/session/L3RpbWUvMTM1NDc0NzAwMi9zaWQvUDJ5dmQqY2w%3D
Just a question, but why would Remington continue to make 1 1/2 primers at all? Ditto 6 1/2 primers as well. Seems like it creates more problems than it solves for all concerned.
For instance, someone new to reloading rifle cartridges might grab some 6 1/2 Small Rifle Primers, not knowing they are supposedly not appropriate for some typical small rifle applications for whatever reason. The warning on the package is written in exceedingly small print. Small rifle primers should simply work in a small rifle cartridge without a fine print warning. Let's be honest, .223 isn't that remarkable as rifle cartridges go. Ditto with SP primers & .357 Mag. I can't be the only one who believes this is BS. Sounds like product planning from a Dilbert cartoon.
But CCI sucks. Does CCI have a Small Pistol Primer that is restricted to only certain small pistol applications due to safety concerns in the same manner as Remington?

FWIW, 6 1/2 primers work great in my .223 loads. But then I'm not really running that hot. I suppose I could use up the remainder in my .357 loads.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #23

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084

Just a question, but why would Remington continue to make 1 1/2 primers at all? Ditto 6 1/2 primers as well. Seems like it creates more problems than it solves for all concerned.
For instance, someone new to reloading rifle cartridges might grab some 6 1/2 Small Rifle Primers, not knowing they are supposedly not appropriate for some typical small rifle applications for whatever reason. The warning on the package is written in exceedingly small print. Small rifle primers should simply work in a small rifle cartridge without a fine print warning. Let's be honest, .223 isn't that remarkable as rifle cartridges go. Ditto with SP primers & .357 Mag. I can't be the only one who believes this is BS. Sounds like product planning from a Dilbert cartoon.
But CCI sucks. Does CCI have a Small Pistol Primer that is restricted to only certain small pistol applications due to safety concerns in the same manner as Remington?

FWIW, 6 1/2 primers work great in my .223 loads. But then I'm not really running that hot. I suppose I could use up the remainder in my .357 loads.
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think Steve works in the primer department at Remington and is trying to boost sales by talking us into buy an extra box of primers.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #24

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Just a question, but why would Remington continue to make 1 1/2 primers at all? Ditto 6 1/2 primers as well.
The 1 1/2 has a thinner cup. It works well or was designed for (whatever you want to call it) low pressure rounds. The 5 1/2 has a thicker cup that is designed to withstand the pressure of the 357 and similar rounds. The 5 1/2 is a Mag primer for use in Magnum cartridges or non-magnum cartridges that run at Magnum pressures.

To better answer your question a email or phone call to Rem may shed more accurate light.

Whatever the reason the 1 1/2 should not be used in the OP's 357.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #25

Liked 1430 Times on 820 Posts
Likes Given: 999

I load a lot of different calibers. I try to simplify things as much as possible. I mainly use CCI primers. But I use magnum primers for everything. I have never had a problem of any kind with this.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

Remington recommends the 7 1/2 primer in the 5.56 because it's a MilSpec primer, and the 5.56 is a military cartridge used primarily in military rifles. The # 9 1/2 is the MilSpec LR primer, and should be used in any ammo used in semi-auto military rifles.

These primer cups are thicker to prevent slam-fires. It has nothing to do with pressure. The NRA recommends MilSpec primers in .30-06 ammo loaded for the M-1 Garand, and that's a lower pressure cartridge than most modern rifle rounds.

As for the debate on the 1 1/2, the moderator removed my post, and I am satisfied with his reasons for doing so. Therefore I would request we close the discussion on that subject.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4723 Times on 2696 Posts
Likes Given: 3750

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think Steve works in the primer department at Remington and is trying to boost sales by talking us into buy an extra box of primers.

What say you, Steve???

Old 12-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #28

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Haha you know I'm messin with ya Steve. I am actually glad that you enlightened me on this. I have a few boxes of 357 that will be getting pulled and reloaded with magnum primers. thank you. It is threads like that make me glad to be on FTF

Old 12-06-2012, 07:59 AM   #29

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Like so many this thread got off subject. If you have Winchester primers they work great and are very consistent. Winchester is the choice of most Bullseye Target shooters.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #30

Liked 268 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonheart
Like so many this thread got off subject. If you have Winchester primers they work great and are very consistent. Winchester is the choice of most Bullseye Target shooters.
Thank you.