Primers?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Primers?

I just got into releading a couple of months ago and have not made even one round yet. Ive been reading and looking around for prices of components. I will be starting with .38/.357 and I cant really find any good information on specifics of primers. I bought 100 winchester small pistol primers and 100 jacketed bullets to start out with and a pound of unique powder. But today I was at a local gun and knife show and there was a guy selling components and had 30 different brands and he really was no help to me. I found a chart online that pretty much gives compatibility with different brands but im looking for more details. If anyone knows of a site or a book it would help alot, thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #2

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Primers.

Some are hard, which will not reliably fire in a gun with lightened springs. Soft primers will go bang in anything.

Hard to soft.

CCI, wolf, Winchester, federal.

CCI primers are considered to be the benchmark for reloading.
This doesn't mean they MUST be used.

That said, I run alot of CCI, they seem to be cheaper.

As for compatibility. They're all compatible.

Large rifle, small rifle, large pistol, small pistol. Different companies have given them different names but application is the same.

CCI 500, Remington 5 1/2, Winchester wsp. They're all small pistol primers, interchangeable.

Magnum primers are a little different. You may use them in all applications, but you cannot use standard primers in magnum applications.

Hope this helps, if not, I can write one hell of a long in depth piece on them.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #3

If you dont mind you can either pm your in depth post or put it on here so others can read it.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #4

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

The 38 uses "small pistol" primers.
CCI-500, Fed 100 and 100M, Win 1 1/2, Rem 1 1/2, Magtech 1 1/2.

The 357 uses "Small Pistol Magnum" primers.
CCI-550, Fed 200 and 200M, Win 1 1/2M, Rem 5 1/2, Magtech 5 1/2.

You said you have been "reading", what reloading manuals have you read?

Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've used Winchester primers for years and can't say I recall ever having one fail, in any fashion. I've used a few CCI with no complaints.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fupuk
I just got into releading a couple of months ago and have not made even one round yet. Ive been reading and looking around for prices of components. I will be starting with .38/.357 and I cant really find any good information on specifics of primers. I bought 100 winchester small pistol primers and 100 jacketed bullets to start out with and a pound of unique powder. But today I was at a local gun and knife show and there was a guy selling components and had 30 different brands and he really was no help to me. I found a chart online that pretty much gives compatibility with different brands but im looking for more details. If anyone knows of a site or a book it would help alot, thanks.
I would get one of the books from the manufactures.(Speer,Lyman Etc) start slow and be patient. I have always had luck with all the primers and such. You will find that your gun "likes" a particular recipe the best and that why people end up with so much stuff. BTW keep good record.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102 View Post

OP,
FWIW, Lyman 49th used CCI 550s for their .357 data. I strongly recommend that you purchase/locate other additional data sources.

That said... very few (pistol) powders actually require Magnum primers, at least for .357 use (can't speak to the larger magnums). Many have found that for non-ball type powders, plain old small pistol primers work great. Unique is certainly not hard to ignite. Win 296 & H110 are reputedly the only common powders that require Magnum primers. I did test some Alliant 2400 loads with both types of primers just to satisfy my curiosity. If there was a difference, I couldn't tell on paper.
Also worth noting, primer hardness matters if your doing a lot of DA shooting with revolvers with worn or lighter weight hammer springs. I use Federals for any loads that will see mostly DA use. My S&W doesn't care, but my Colt does. CCIs work great for everything else.
If you develop your loads carefully starting low & working up, your primer choice won't be that big of a deal. Do your due diligence with your process and you should be fine.
Note: There is always some conflict between the "Follow your data" side and the "it's not set in stone" side of the issue. This where judgement counts. Start low and work up, any time you you switch components. For instance: substituting a Winchester primer for a Federal isn't really that big of a deal, but you must approach it in the same manner as you would developing a new load...because you are.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5954 Times on 3371 Posts
Likes Given: 5528

Years ago, I had major FTF problems with CCI. I switched to Remington and never looked back.

I load a great deal of military caliber ammo, and Remington 7 1/2 small rifle and 9 1/2 large rifle primers are MilSpec, so I buy them in sleeves of 5000.

Never had a FTF or other problem with Remington primers.

Winston Churchill

Old 12-03-2012, 02:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve4102

I have the newest speer manual and the ABC's of reloading. Im planning on getting more. I dont know if its just me but they really dont go into details on the specifics of primers and their uses. Im open for options on what are some of the better manuals to get.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #10

Liked 51 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
they really dont go into details on the specifics of primers and their uses
My Speer #13 has 4 1/2 pages devoted to primers. What kind of "specifics" are you looking for?

If you are looking for "specifics" on brand of primer you will not find it in your manual. Small pistol = small pistol, pick one, same goes for every other size primer be it LR, LP or Magnum. Just select the correct size in any brand you wish and l load em.