Primers - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1906 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

I had a couple boxes of Remington large rifle primers. I used them to load up some 30-30 rounds for a used mossberg I had just purchased. I kept having to hit each round 2 or 3 times. I thought it was a bad main spring on my lever gun. So I bought a new one. Same problem. Then I loaded some 7-30 waters for my Contender. Same problem. Then it dawned on me...hey wait a minute, those are the same primers my 30-30 wouldnt shoot. I switched to CCI. Problem solved. I really think it was just a bad couple of boxes. It was right after Obama got elected and no one could keep up with demand. I bet quality control suffered.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #12

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I've used Remington primers exclusively for the last 30 years. Never had a problem with one.

IME, most of the time misfires are caused by seating to shallow and the primer not "bottoming out" in the pocket, or seating too hard and crushing the priming pellet in the cup. Do any of your unfired rounds have slightly crushed primers?
+1

Over the years I've used Remington primers more than any other brand. 95% of the time when you have a misfire of a handload, it is due to either the case itself, (dirt in the primer pocket), or else the way in which the primer was seated. If you religiously clean your primer pockets, and use care in seating your primers deep enough to bottom out in the case, you won't have any misfiring issues.

On some rifle cases you need to square out the bottom of the primer pocket to remove the small radius that can cause inconsistent primer seating. On pistol cases I've never seen a need to do this. Most of the time it's crap in the primer pocket that causes this to happen. If they are military cases the crimp on the primer pocket can cause issues that will cause this if you don't remove it before reloading.

A while back I read a good article on primers and how they're manufactured. It takes a lot to contaminate them. Primer manufacturers do all sorts of crazy things to test them. From soaking them in gasoline and motor oil, to WD-40, water, and just about everything else you can think of. It's really unbelievable how much it takes to deactivate them. It's nowhere as easy as one would think.

Forcing a primer into a primer pocket, (not removing a crimp in a primer pocket), can crack the primer compound inside the cup by flattening it. This can cause a misfire by having the primer compound itself detach from the cup under the anvil.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:22 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5940 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 5506

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive found remington primers to be unreliable. remington ammo in general is pretty aweful.

mileage may vary
I guess we've had opposite experiences. The only primers I've ever had any problems with were CCI.

And that was many years ago.

Winston Churchill