Primer shortage? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primer shortage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 03:36 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

So it looks like I picked the wrong time to start reloading, huh?

Only the government should have weapons as long as we don't forget who the government is in a democracy.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
So it looks like I picked the wrong time to start reloading, huh?
Give it six months to a year and, if the components start trickling back to the shelves, you'll see a bunch of barely used stuff hitting the newspapers and garage sales as the panic buyers struggle to pay-off their credit card bills that they ran up during the crisis.

You'll also see supply finally catch-up with demand hopefully by Q1 of next year and that too will help ... if we're lucky.

It's never too late to learn to reload.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #33

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
Give it six months to a year and, if the components start trickling back to the shelves, you'll see a bunch of barely used stuff hitting the newspapers and garage sales as the panic buyers struggle to pay-off their credit card bills that they ran up during the crisis.

You'll also see supply finally catch-up with demand hopefully by Q1 of next year and that too will help ... if we're lucky.

It's never too late to learn to reload.
MY GOD I hope not. It needs to come back sooner than that.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2692 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 216

We have got to be reaching a saturation point. One local store sold 37,000 primers in 4 hours. And, that is limiting each buyer to no more than 2000 per day.
I understand most makers are running 24/7 producing ammo and components as fast as they can. Warehouses that normally have 1/2 million rounds in reserve are bare. As fast as they can make and box it up, it gets shipped.

I can get components, but I have to pay 2X the 2008 price and can only get 1k at a time. That lasts me about 2 days.

Powder is getting a lot easier to find than primers.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #35

No such thing as a saturation point when it comes to fear of losing a constitutional right and/or havinig to deal with the headache of potential Ammo Coding in the near future.

There are far more funds sitting out there ready to invest in components than there are components that could possibly be manufactured between now and whenever whatever happens.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #36

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mid-South is just now shipping primers & powder I ordered on Feb.24.. They called to verify that I still wanted the order....duhh

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 07-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #37

Ammo manufacturers are operating 24/7 trying to keep up with demand since Obama was elected. They are creating the shortages for us handloaders. It seems like ammo is becomming more available so we should see things getting better soon. (I hope.) I have been able to find some primers but I think you may have more luck finding them locally rather than the internet. I havent been able to find one primer on the web. The suppliers on the auction sites are gouging people. Keep checking with your local suppliers. You just have to be at the right place at the right time. GOOD LUCK.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #38

Default Primers

After paying $5 each for 2 boxes of large pistol primers the day before, I walked into a gun store I don't usually go to and walked out with 1000 for $30.95. That was his last box. I bet he is going to be surprised when he reorders.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #39

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

What $5 primers??? There hasn't been primers at $5.00 /box of 1000 for YEARS! The others are only $3.10 / box if you figure it that way. I have bought primers last year way before the election for 2.97/ box at a local GS.

Vern

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 07-26-2009, 09:59 PM   #40

Default Primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
I believe it's hoarding as well. I'm down to just a handful primers and I can't find any, anywhere, that I use. I need more soon as I shoot up most of the ammo I build or buy. It's real frustrating.
I'm be no means implying that this is the case, but if someone wanted to reek havoc on the reloading industry, all they need do is corner the market on one simple little component costing less than a penny to manufacture, that without, the reloader is completely Out Of Business.

I didn't even realize there was a shortage until I try to locate a couple hundred small pistol primers, but fortunately I still have 2 or 3 thousand small CCI bench rest primers left from the days I was shooting a lot of BR, but I may reach the point I'll have to see how well they'll perform in revolver ammo.

F. Prefect