Primer shortage? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primer shortage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

CP - I've had 2000 small pistol primers on order since March 1 with Midsouth Shooters Supply - as well as .40 and .308 bullets. Sounds like a shortage to me. Why would Midsouth delay orders of items in stock? They're not making any more money making people wait. That link you posted directed me to a bunch of crooks - the primers I ordered were $22 /1000.....not $45/500!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 04-26-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #22

Liked 1298 Times on 733 Posts
Likes Given: 623

I have been told by a couple dealers that I buy from that the mfg's were not shipping any reloading supplies until they have the finished ammo supply under check,there fore until there is ammo on the shelves,there will be very little reloading supplies available anywhere. And those few dealers that do get any will jack the prices up to the sky for them.
North American Hunting Club

Old 04-28-2009, 12:02 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 13

OUCH! I am down to a few packs of small primers, and 1 case of large. This is getting ugly.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #24

Default small pistol primers

Well I'm down to 200? Anyone got any for sale or trade? mikem@tls.net

Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermike View Post
I feel your pain. I am completely out of small pistol primers. Only have 200 rounds left for my 357 mag, bummer. I do have about 700 small pistol mag primers, but I save them for when I load w/ H110. But I have 1900 large pistol and 1400 small rifle primers, so I will keep on shooting the .223, .45 and .44 mag! Sorry, nothing to sell or trade.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #26

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Primer usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermike View Post
Mike, at the risk of me sounding dumb, have you thought of using small rifle primers on some of your pistol loads? There has been some info. on a few threads here on that. I have loaded some .357 and 9mm with small rifle primers, with good results. They seem fine when used with hi volume, mid-range loads.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 AM   #27

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Problem is, if I had some, and I might be able to get my hands on some, the shipping is ridiculous, as they have to be shipped with as "hazardous material" because they are explosive. Locally, there is a supply store that has some large pistol primers and might have some small pistol primers. I assume this is what you are after?

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 04-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I have been told by a couple dealers that I buy from that the mfg's were not shipping any reloading supplies until they have the finished ammo supply under check,there fore until there is ammo on the shelves,there will be very little reloading supplies available anywhere. And those few dealers that do get any will jack the prices up to the sky for them.
That is what I have found out also. This applies to both primers and powder. Until the major ammunition manufacturers are able to re-stock the shelves with factory ammunition, the supply of those 2 components will continue to be sparse.

Another thing that I found out was that there are few manufacturers of primers in the US and the foreign manufactured primers that have been ordered to meet the demand of the US public are being held up by US Customs officials. In other words our primers are languishing in US Customs warehouses.

I got that information from both Sinclair International, and Conley Precision Cartridge Co.
www.mpirifles.com

Old 04-30-2009, 08:18 PM   #29

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Just went to my favorite "reloader supply" and picked up 1000 Remington Large Pistol primers. Limit of 1000 to a customer. There were also some large rifle primers there as well. I didn't check on the small pistol primers, though.. forgot.

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolosniper View Post
That is what I have found out also. This applies to both primers and powder. Until the major ammunition manufacturers are able to re-stock the shelves with factory ammunition, the supply of those 2 components will continue to be sparse.

Another thing that I found out was that there are few manufacturers of primers in the US and the foreign manufactured primers that have been ordered to meet the demand of the US public are being held up by US Customs officials. In other words our primers are languishing in US Customs warehouses.

I got that information from both Sinclair International, and Conley Precision Cartridge Co.
That should be obvious that there are few US manufactures. Remington, Winchester, Federal, CCI. That's about it. About that many major ammo companies too. Small ammo companies outsource, like Black Hills, Buffalo Bore, etc, and they are also selling lots of ammo, so they have a huge demand for primers as well.