Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primer shortage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Primer shortage?

I would like to know whats going on with primers. Nobody seems to have any now and I can't get a straight answer as to why. Are people hoarding them? Are the factories still making them? I see all stocks depleated and no backorders being taken. What gives? I need some facts. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #2

Liked 2255 Times on 1185 Posts
Likes Given: 153

HUGE DEMAND! The military, civilian ammo markets and the reloaders.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #3

Guns sales generally are up 49% since Obama. We're "sending a message," and it's resulting in hoarding, shortages of everything, but especially ammo, reloading components, and stuff on 5.56 / 308 Win.

The "good news" is that the gun grabbers in Wash. DC are getting the message.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:30 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo60 View Post
I would like to know whats going on with primers. Nobody seems to have any now and I can't get a straight answer as to why. Are people hoarding them? Are the factories still making them? I see all stocks depleated and no backorders being taken. What gives? I need some facts. Thanks.
Try Midsouth Shooters Supply, Reloading, Air Guns, Optics, Muzzleloaders & Shooting Supplies
I have small pistol primers on backorder with them, but generally they are well stocked on rifle components.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 03-31-2009, 01:45 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the biggest problem is hoarding. I am really frustrated with this the last couple years. last year primers went up a bunch because of copper/brass being sky high. Well, the price of brass and copper hit the floor, so I figured prices would at least stabilize. NOOOOOOOO. Now we have our new prez and people are freaked. I shoot 5k rounds a year no matter what, now all the amatuers are buying up everything to sit on it for the inevitable end of civilization. Don't even get me started on the people selling primers on sites like gun broker for $70 per thousand. A special place in hell for those opportunistic jerks. Funny thing is my local shop is out too, but they told me that prices are about the same when they do come in. I will quit reloading before I pay 4x what they are worth. just my opinion.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #6

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I believe it's hoarding as well. I'm down to just a handful primers and I can't find any, anywhere, that I use. I need more soon as I shoot up most of the ammo I build or buy. I'ts real frustrating.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #7

I've actually have started to see some Win. primers around here in Northern IL. (pistol only) They are selling out fast. Small rifle primers are unheard of though.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:20 AM   #8

I am a dealer and I cant get them. The wholesale warehouses have been dry for about six months. If the wholesalers cant get them then where are they going?? Its strange.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:36 AM   #9

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo60 View Post
I've actually have started to see some Win. primers around here in Northern IL. (pistol only) They are selling out fast. Small rifle primers are unheard of though.
I use CCI BR II primers. Other primers throw off my reload recipies. Loading longer range rifle ammo now for target builds. Hopefully CCI BR II primers will be available before too long.

Old 04-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #10
Kostriker

Liked 1404 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 2863

I wish I could get back into reloading; however, the wife will not allow me to keep the goods in the garage or the shed and even with a fire-proof storage box! Thehouse is a no-no!

Albuquerque is almost becoming a ghost town for any reloading ability. I talked to an individual drove from Santa Fe just for regular ammo, i.e. pistol and rifle. He has hit every store - empty, that was last Friday. Sportsman's Warehouse was the biggest to carry ammo and firearms' however, with Chapter 11, not yet finding a buyer and the no credit supply is very thin. They have no pistol's and do not do special orders!