Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Primer Shortage ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/primer-shortage-11627/)

BILLYBOB44 03-07-2009 02:31 AM

Primer Shortage ?

As noted on some previous post, the supply of primers is drying up at most of the major places-Midway,MidSouth,GanderMtn. etc. They seem readily available on GunBroker, at doubled prices. Gone the way as ammo has!:eek::mad:

robocop10mm 03-07-2009 11:51 AM

There are some greedy, price gouging, hoarding bastages out there. I generally keep an extra 1000 of each of the 4 basic primers on hand. I just ran out of rifle primers but found a brick of Large rifle.

No one should be allowed to "stock up" except me.

spittinfire 03-07-2009 01:16 PM

I grabbed an extra 1000 of all the ones I use late last year which put me close to 2000 of each so I'm in good shape. I have noticed the price going up though.

hunter Joe 03-07-2009 11:43 PM

I was at a gun show near Milwaukee today and never have seen so many people. I found a brick of Fed. small pistol for just under $40.00, I had to pass. I prefer Win primers but going to try Mag Tech which are going for around $32.00 a 1000s.

Prices are up $300.00 to $500.00 across the board on black guns and they were selling reloaded ammunition at a fevered pitch. I think it only going to get worse. Good luck my brothers.

SlamFire 03-22-2009 05:55 PM

Hoarding is happening. Primers are hard to find for rifle now, but also bullets, brass and even dies in 5.56 and 308 Win.

mrm14 03-22-2009 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlamFire (Post 85435)
Hoarding is happening. Primers are hard to find for rifle now, but also bullets, brass and even dies in 5.56 and 308 Win.

Amen to that! Cant find the primers I like to use and even .300 Win. Mag brass for me. Real frustrating!

45Fan 08-02-2009 03:49 PM

Hoarders beware

I tried everywhere in my local area and there are almost no primers available even at the largest retailers. Of course I'm preaching to the choir.
I keep a thousand primers of each type I reload.
When the supply dried up we started blaming the Govt, then shooters who were hoarding. But have you looked at GunBroker.com lately? There is no shortage of primers from 496 sellers who are selling at 3 to 4 times the retail price. That is where the hoarding starts. They have created this situation by buying up tons of primers at a fair price and are flipping them at a huge profit.
I recommend checking as many of those sellers as possible and sending an email telling them how you will remember this when times are better.
I support my local gun store and retailers who try to provide me with the components I need for my sport. The Gougers who are taking advantage of the situation, and possibly created it, should pay for this. We deserve better.

"No thing of importance will come without effort".
D. Wesson 1849

tiberius10721 08-07-2009 06:45 PM

I have a feeling that with the shrinking budgets of law enforcement agencies that this primer shortage will end. The government and law enfocement agencies have been buying up all the ammo. This shortage will not last forever.

Big Sky Ranger 09-01-2009 01:28 AM

Hoarding?

Just who the heck is hoarding? If the suppliers can't get product to sell it's not because of hoarders, unless it's the Feds (the ultimate hoarder) who are soaking up the supply.
I think 'hoarders' are a bogus bogyman.

tiberius10721 09-01-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sky Ranger (Post 153717)
Just who the heck is hoarding? If the suppliers can't get product to sell it's not because of hoarders, unless it's the Feds (the ultimate hoarder) who are soaking up the supply.
I think 'hoarders' are a bogus bogyman.

I think your right hoarders are a bogus bogyman because there hasnt been anything to hoard in almost a year. I think military and lawenforcement is buying it all up!