Primer Reloading - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading >

Primer Reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #21
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1306 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post
Sorry for the double post. I didn't catch the fact that it had to be looked at by a mod first. Please delete this one too when you get a chance.

edit: why did this post show up. Now I look like a real dork!
Welcome, delmar.

New users who include images or links in their posts have their posts moderated to reduce spam and other undesirable stuff. I deleted one of your duplicate posts. No worries.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 13001 Times on 5548 Posts
Likes Given: 2139

A note of caution from someone that works professionally with explosives (and not only has the licenses and certification, but after 40 years, still has all fingers)

On the TV show Lost In Space, when the aliens would be approaching, the robot would wave his arms, and shout DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER. Imagine the robot is shouting now, and insert your name as appropriate.

YES, primers CAN be rebuilt. No, flash powder will not work- it must be an impact detonating primary explosive that produces a jet of flame hot enuff to light the powder. Therein lies the problem.

As in mining explosives, the touchy part is not dynamite, but blasting caps. The active ingredient in primers is (in most cases) lead azide or lead styphnate. Both are very toxic, and VERY touchy. They are inserted WET, the anvil placed in the primer, and then allowed to dry. The process of inserting into the primer shell, and placing the primer are automated, so fingers are not in the area.

Let's say that you made a teaspoon full of primer compound (which, BTW, requires a Federal license- you are making explosives) You now have enuff "stuff" for a few hundred primers. However, you also have enuff very energetic, very touchy explosive to take your hand off. And you are going to be placing a dab (how much is the right amount?) in a recycled primer body, and trying to get the anvil back in place- without squeezing the "stuff" too much. All with your fingertips.

"Strike anywhere" matchheads have been used for this, along with toy caps- but as a last ditch military field expedient. And has anyone bought any "strike anywhere" matches lately? Have not seen them for at least 5 years.

BTW, one of the first primers was Fulminate of Mercury. Replaced because not good for brass cases- but do you know how TOUCHY that is?

Before I tried rebuilding primers, would drag out my flintlock!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:19 PM   #23

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
This is why I own BP rifles....if worse comes to worst, balck powder and percussion caps CAN be made at home, and BP rifles are as userful & deadly today as they were during the Civil War.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
A note of caution from someone that works professionally with explosives (and not only has the licenses and certification, but after 40 years, still has all fingers)

On the TV show Lost In Space, when the aliens would be approaching, the robot would wave his arms, and shout DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER. Imagine the robot is shouting now, and insert your name as appropriate.

YES, primers CAN be rebuilt. No, flash powder will not work- it must be an impact detonating primary explosive that produces a jet of flame hot enuff to light the powder. Therein lies the problem.

As in mining explosives, the touchy part is not dynamite, but blasting caps. The active ingredient in primers is (in most cases) lead azide or lead styphnate. Both are very toxic, and VERY touchy. They are inserted WET, the anvil placed in the primer, and then allowed to dry. The process of inserting into the primer shell, and placing the primer are automated, so fingers are not in the area.

Let's say that you made a teaspoon full of primer compound (which, BTW, requires a Federal license- you are making explosives) You now have enuff "stuff" for a few hundred primers. However, you also have enuff very energetic, very touchy explosive to take your hand off. And you are going to be placing a dab (how much is the right amount?) in a recycled primer body, and trying to get the anvil back in place- without squeezing the "stuff" too much. All with your fingertips.

"Strike anywhere" matchheads have been used for this, along with toy caps- but as a last ditch military field expedient. And has anyone bought any "strike anywhere" matches lately? Have not seen them for at least 5 years.

BTW, one of the first primers was Fulminate of Mercury. Replaced because not good for brass cases- but do you know how TOUCHY that is?

They sell strike anywhere matches at every Ace Hardware store that I have ever been to. $1.50/ box makes about 100 primers.