Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Primer Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/primer-reloading-13559/)

JimGiven 05-05-2009 06:06 PM

Primer Reloading

Hey guys...it has been near impossible to find any primers. When I spoke to my Dad, he told me that his Dad used to reload his primers. I could not believe it.

My Dad was not taught, but I figured someone here might have some knowledge about it, and how it could be done.

Best,
Jim

robocop10mm 05-05-2009 06:15 PM

It is theoretically possible. Remove the primer from the fired case. Remove the anvil from the cup. Clean out the cup. Use a punch to flatten the dimple left by the firing pin/striker. Reinstall a precisely metered amount of priming compound. Reinsert the anvil. Seat in a case.

The problem is making the priming compound. Lead styphenate is very toxic. I have no idea where to find a recipe. It must be inserted wet and allowed to dry. Good luck.

A field expediant might be to use the white heads off "strike anywhere" matches for a priming compound. It might ignite from percussion as well as friction.

cpttango30 05-05-2009 06:55 PM

That has to be one of the craziest things I have heard in a long time. Not only would it take you years to get a mixture that would work and be consistant from batch to batch your are going to cost yourself more money in the long run that it would be to get on gun broker and pay $400 for 1000 primer.

JimGiven 05-05-2009 07:22 PM

Crazy depends on whether you have an extra $400 to give me for that 1000 primers.

Not a crazy question...old timers DID do it. I just looked googled the match stick suggestion, and it is a primary explosive, and can be used for a primer compound. Am sure just as in my case, you can grain it out to the correct amount.

I just figured that I would get better knowledge than "that is crazy".

Jim

JimGiven 05-05-2009 07:26 PM

BTW, thx Robo...something to think about.

Jim

willfully armed 05-05-2009 09:10 PM

if primers are selling for $400/1000, id like to sell some.

robocop10mm 05-05-2009 09:48 PM

I don't know if flash powder such as found in firecrackers will reliably work but you could experiment. The problem is you would have to make it into a paste with water or alcohol and press it into place. You may need a thin membrane of perhaps paper to hold it there. Insert the anvil and allow to dry.

cpttango30 05-05-2009 11:08 PM

$400 PER 10,000 Missed a 0.

Still I think I will wait until CCI BR4 and BR2 are back in stock. I know a lot of stuff and have taken my share of chemistry classes but I am not about to attempt to make my own primers.

When your face is sewed back on and all healed up let me know how it worked out.

Mark F 05-06-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 102573)
if primers are selling for $400/1000, id like to sell some.

Me too... I have large and small pistol primers as well as large Magnum primers. Where do I sign up for the $400 per 1000 gig?
That would be 40 cents per primer plus bullet & powder cost. There would be no purpose in reloading except in the most extreme cases.

I did see that some Stupid Ammo Hording Jerk was attempting to sell 40 S&W target grade ammo for $75.00 per 100 on another site. This is a bunch of CRAP! I really hope no one pays this jerk a dime...

Mark F 05-06-2009 11:35 AM

As far as reloading primers... I suppose anything is possible. I think I'd go a different route and forego this endevour.