Primer question.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primer question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

Default Primer question.

So I reloaded my first batch of .223 and when I throw a round in my AR and disengage the bolt catch it leaves a small dimple in the primer. I then tried it with a factory round (55 grain federal) and it did the same thing. I have shot over 1000 rounds of this same federal ammo and not had a problem but should I worry about a slam fire or not? Also could my firing pin have a weak spring or something like that?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9359 Times on 4035 Posts
Likes Given: 1471

Well, with MOST ARs, there IS no spring- the firing pin is free floating- and inertia makes it go forward and put that little POCK! in the primer.

None of my military issue M16s had a firing pin spring, and that did not cause them to bust a cap when loading up.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

Liked 258 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you don't know that your AR doesn't have a firing pin spring, you might wanna take it apart and have a look.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2943 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 262

You dropped a round in the chamber and dropped the bolt on it? Not a good idea. I call that force feeding. You will ALWAYS get a dimple on the primer when you do this. It was designed to be fed from the magazine. The resistance of stripping a round out of the magazine slows the bolt carrier just enough to prevent this.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 07-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Perfectly normal result , but I agree with the other guys... don't do that. 99.999% of the time it will be fine... but...

Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #6

Liked 757 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 238

If it bothers you then trade for a Mini-14.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 944 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 494

A couple things you should be aware of when Handloading for and AR.

Make sure your primers are seated deep, below flush. A high primer is not a good idea in any firearm, but in a Semi-Auto it could cause problems. I uniform my Primer pockets with this so I know my primers are well below flush.
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/case-preparation/primer-pocket-tools/handles/sinclair-primer-pocket-uniformers-prod34720.aspx

I don't use the handle, I chuck it in a small battery drill. Makes short work of it.

Make sure you are using the correct primer. Remington 6 1/2 primers have softer cups and should not be used in a 223 let alone an AR-15 223. If you are concerned about your choice of primer you can use primers designed for the AR type rifles. Federal, CCI and Wolf all make them. I use Rem 7 1/2, a mag primer with a thicker cup.

Keep that bolt and firing pin clean and lubed. It is said that carbon build-up in the BCG can cause the firing pin to stick, although I have know direct knowledge this will cause a "Slam-fire", it's best just to keep it clean and lubed, so you don't have to find out if it's true or not.

And as already pointed out, load from the magazine.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
If it bothers you then trade for a Mini-14.
The Mini-14 also has a free floating firing pin.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #9

Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

First, yeah I took apart the Bolt and removed firing pin, no spring....duh right?! Maybe I wasn't clear, I never dropped a round in the chamber the slammed the bolt forward, I loaded it In the mag then released the bolt catch as if I were doing a mag change. Also I checked the primer during my initial inspection of the rounds. All rounds went in my Wilson case gauge and were inspected closely. So I understand correctly, this is not a big deal and is mostly due to the free float firing pin in the AR design. Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm new to the AR platform as well as reloading. Some of you know it alls around here are really quick to try and talk sh!t instead of answering questions but no sweat, guess Ill do my research a little better before I post a "stupid" question on here.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
First, yeah I took apart the Bolt and removed firing pin, no spring....duh right?! Maybe I wasn't clear, I never dropped a round in the chamber the slammed the bolt forward, I loaded it In the mag then released the bolt catch as if I were doing a mag change. Also I checked the primer during my initial inspection of the rounds. All rounds went in my Wilson case gauge and were inspected closely. So I understand correctly, this is not a big deal and is mostly due to the free float firing pin in the AR design. Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm new to the AR platform as well as reloading. Some of you know it alls around here are really quick to try and talk sh!t instead of answering questions but no sweat, guess Ill do my research a little better before I post a "stupid" question on here.
I'm not sure where that came from, but if I offended you in any way, my apologies.

Please, don't be afraid to ask questions as there are no "Stupid" questions when it comes to manufacturing little bombs we set off right next to our eyes, ears and brain.
Ask away we are here to help.

BTW, here is a good read on loading for Semi-autos.

http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reloadbasics/gasgunreload.cfm