A "Primer" on Primers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > A "Primer" on Primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 806 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 920

Default A "Primer" on Primers

Ok, I always see people asking, what kind of brass to keep or scrap and why cant they reload their foreign surplus brass... One is the type of primer used. Well I happen to be dabbling with the two priming systems at the moment and thought I could help....

There are two types of primers for modern centerfires, and look identical in a loaded cartridge. The difference can be seen inside a fired cartridge or when the primer has been removed. Theres the Berdan that has Two flash holes, and the Boxer with just one.

Berdan primers are named after their American inventor, Hiram Berdan of New York who patented his primer in March of 1866.
Berdan primers are similar to the caps used in the caplock system, being small metal cups with pressure-sensitive explosive in them. Inside the primer pocket is a small bump, the "anvil", with two small holes on either side of the anvil.
They are reusable, But the used primer must be removed, by hydraulic pressure or something that pierces and pulls the primer out of the bottom.

The Boxer Primer was developed by Edward M. Boxer in England, patenting it in England on October, 1866, and a U.S. patent in June, 1869.
Boxer primers are similar to Berdan primers with one major difference, the location of the anvil. In a Boxer primer, the anvil is located inside the primer cup, and theres only one center hole in the primer pocket.
Boxer primers are easier to reload, using a decapping rod to push the spent primer out of the case. As well the sizes are more "universal", having a large & small size for pistols and rifles. (and magnum primers for all those..)

Heres some pictures I took.. Ones a Yugoslavian M67 surplus case, and the others a US commercial Winchester one, both are in 7.62x39.
You can see the difference in the primer pockets...

107_5778.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #2

Pictures of the primer cups....
The first is showing both the Berdan and the Boxer with the attached anvil. (Both unfired)
The second pic is of a fired Boxer primer with the anvil removed....

107_5786.jpg   107_5780.jpg  

Old 01-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #3

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Good description. I recycle at least 4000 berdan primed cases a year. Its a shame, but decaping them is a real issue.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2986 Times on 1556 Posts
Likes Given: 277

By recycle I presume you mean sell for scrap? Dang shame no one has come up with an efficient way of decapping the berdan cases.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #5

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

How 'bout that! I've often wondered the difference, and while I have encountered people who claimed to know, none of them could articulate properly so that the layman might understand.

Thanks man.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #6

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I am glad you posted this thread because people are asking about the differences between Berdan and Boxer primers all the time. Good job.

I recycle lots of spent military surplus brass because I don't want to mess with Berdan primers.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
By recycle I presume you mean sell for scrap? Dang shame no one has come up with an efficient way of decapping the berdan cases.
Decapping (uncapping) Spent Berdan Primed Cartridges Still not as quick as decapping boxer primers, but it may be quicker than the RCBS tool with enough practice.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 AM   #8

At the gun show today there was a guy at a table with ton of ammo. I asked if his .223 ammo was boxer primed and he said, "No this all has modern primers."
You'd think a guy in the business would know a little more about the terminology of the stuff he is selling.
cottontop

Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #9

Im gonna try to make a hydraulic press that uses water to deprime the Berdan cases.. Ill let you guys know how that goes, I tried the wooden dowel and it almost worked, but the dowel would break or the case would bend...

Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #10

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez
Im gonna try to make a hydraulic press that uses water to deprime the Berdan cases.. Ill let you guys know how that goes, I tried the wooden dowel and it almost worked, but the dowel would break or the case would bend...
I've heard of a home made hydraulic press using water, it seemed to work pretty well. Check youtube and see if they have any ideas you can use.

It would really be great if the case can be converted to take boxer after the berdan is removed. Is that possible?