Primer Pressure Gauge?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Gear & Accessories > Ammunition & Reloading > Primer Pressure Gauge?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Primer Pressure Gauge?

I was taught that the primer was a good indicator of pressure. A very much flattened out primer indicated very a high pressure.
I took my 12FV .223 Savage and my home made rest to the range today. I had purchased a quantity of Winchester and Federal ammo. The Federal ammo worked quite well while the Winchester ammo is not near as accurate. When inspecting the spent cases I noticed that some of the Winchester primers had flattened out considerably more than others. Is this just plain old poor quality?

Terry

Last edited by terry_g; 04-12-2011 at 03:07 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Not really.

I have primers that are flat and have a ridge around the firing pin indent and I am only 50 fps over minimum.

Are you shooting a remington?

Remington for some stupid reason though that putting a nice bevel on the hole in the bolt face was a good idea. I heard that no matter what they cause that ring.

I know mine does.

The one on the right might have been a hotter load. Or it could have sat in a hot chamber longer than other rounds.