Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Ammunition & Reloading (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/)
-   -   Pressure (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/pressure-92222/)

Curt 06-12-2013 11:49 PM

Pressure

Just finished a batch of (50) 9mm when I noticed they looked different / short.

I always set up my equipment each time I start a new batch to make sure nothings slipped or out of adjustment.

The rounds were reading 1.169" OAL on my micrometer with 147gr JHP, 4.3 gns of Winchester WSF powder. Just like the load data sheet said.

So I went to a box of ammo that I made over the weekend and it was reading 1.199. I checked and double checked that batch when I made them they were all perfectly 1.169".

My son fessed up that he dropped my micrometer so I got the one I keep in the garage and sure enough the bullets are over seated by about .03".

Will this cause an over pressure situation?

Thanks,

Curt

mountainman13 06-13-2013 12:29 AM

Are they within specs? If not, grab the bullet puller. If they are withing oal specs and on the low end of the load spectrum you may be fine.
Do you want to shoot them???

mseric 06-13-2013 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curt (Post 1274778)
Just finished a batch of (50) 9mm when I noticed they looked different / short.

I always set up my equipment each time I start a new batch to make sure nothings slipped or out of adjustment.

The rounds were reading 1.169" OAL on my micrometer with 147gr JHP, 4.3 gns of Winchester WSF powder. Just like the load data sheet said.

So I went to a box of ammo that I made over the weekend and it was reading 1.199. I checked and double checked that batch when I made them they were all perfectly 1.169".

My son fessed up that he dropped my micrometer so I got the one I keep in the garage and sure enough the bullets are over seated by about .03".

Will this cause an over pressure situation?

Thanks,

Curt

Sorry, I'm a little confused.
With your "Good" Micrometer what does your new box of 50 rounds measure, 1.169 or 1.199?

With the same Mic. what do your "weekend" bullets measure, 1.169 or 1.199?

If they are 1.199, just seat them deeper to 1.169.

Curt 06-13-2013 12:26 PM

With the good mic the weekend bullets measure exactly 1.169 the new batch measures in at 1.138.

Being anal I'm going to pull all the bullets and reseat.

Good thing I have a betterment policy with my children. My son now has to buy me a better mic, or the same mic and cash, or the same mic and a chore that requires manual labor. (I need some cherry wood split before fathers day. With a maul right beside my log splitter.)

mseric 06-13-2013 12:31 PM

If you have a kinetic puller, no need to pull them all the way out. Just give them a few wacks until they are longer than 1.169, then re-seat.

aandabooks 06-13-2013 01:10 PM

Just from a machinist's curiosity, what brand of mic bit the dust?

I like your policy with your kids. Builds personal responsibility and accountability.